When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Too Narrow Hour Markers

freddy333

Is there a tutorial or recommended procedure for how to widen the (too-narrow) hour markers at 6 & 9 on some Subs and Sea-Dwellers?

I'm considering marking the correct shapes with painters' masking tape and then using white luminous paste to paint/resize them.

Anyone have experience here or is there a source for good, rep Double-Red Sea-Dweller dials?

For vintage 1680/1665/551x?

The only way to make them wider is to paint/lume them wider...

If you have an MBW, the markers are already pretty decent...

134137-18553.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't (have an MBW (but I'd appreciate any info you could provide in locating a source for a new DRSD model)). The 1665 I got from Trustytime has VERY narrow 6 & 9 markers, which is odd considering how accurate the rest of the dial is.

Re widening the existing markers: Is the procedure I described (plotting out the larger area with painters masking tape and then using lume paint (from ofrei or similar) the best way to do it? If so, any gotcha's I should watch out for (e.g., paint bleeding under tape, most accurate lume colours, etc.)?

Thank you! I've got it pretty well modded- Lots of gen parts, and a few more mods left to do. It's been a fun one to build...

As for the markers on yours... I would imagine that reluming would be possible. I myself lack the talent to do lume jobs, so I'd probably farm the job out to Ziggy (who does a gorgeous job of vintage lumes). If you have a steady hand, it would be worth a try. But I think given the course texture of the dial, the lume, if mixed too thin, would bleed under any tape/masked areas :(

My hands are anything but steady. But I think if I can work out a scheme to layout the boundaries for the enlarged markers and keep the lume/paint from bleeding or "spilling" beyond the masking, it ought to be a fairly simple exercise. I'm awaiting some tools to get started, but I'll post my results when I can.