When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick Book Review: Watches International: Volume Vii

Marv1n

Watches International: Volume VII

by Tourbillon International

Amazon's Editorial Review:

Now in its 7th edition, Watches International has been setting the standard for up-to-date reference guides devoted to luxury timepieces since 2000. At over 500 pages, Watches International Volume VII showcases the latest watches from around the world, from every major watchmaker including Audemars Piguet, Breguet, Bvlgari, Chopard, Ebel, Longines, Patek Philippe, TAG Heuer, and Zenith. Hundreds of beautiful and meticulous full-color photographs show not only the watches' style and exquisiteness, but also—and perhaps most importantly—the details of their movements, functions, cases, and dials. The text gives an overview of each of the companies' histories. Technical descriptions make this a must-have reference for everyone who loves timepieces personally or needs to know about them professionally.

Marv1n's Editorial Review:

With a form factor to rival a rural telephone book (or the JC Penny seasonal catalog for those of you who are married), this is an excellent and very enjoyable book to look through to get up to speed on basic manufacturer history as well as this year's offerings from most of the major houses. This is one of those books that I consider to be akin to watch "candy", as it's really more flash than substance. It is very useful to look up reference shots for the newest watches, as most pieces show both front, back, and some cases movement details as well.

-Downsides-

The reason I say "most", is that there are a few very notible brands missing from this digest (at least in my opinion). Omega and Breitling are notably missing from the list. Also very strange is that the advertising for this book says that it includes prices - when there are very few prices actually in the book.

-Upsides-

A massive number of watch houses are represented here, and several that I'd never heard of. The photography of the watches and movements is excellent, and the overall presentation is outstanding. I've found a few new watches that I'll be looking for on the Rep market, as if I didn't have enough in mind already...

There is a decent sized Glossary in the back of the book that covers major watch terminology, and is a good addition to round out the package. My wife found this very helpful, as it makes it easier for her to follow my watch babble, as well as allowing her to better evaluate some of this more technical listings in the book.

Summary:

Overall, this is an excellent if not complete summary of the 2007 offerings that the watch industry is putting forth. Highly recommended for some light reading (and drooling)The book is available from Amazon for $16.50.

Next up (tomorrow perhaps) is a review of Lucien Trueb's "The World of Watches". I'll give you a hint - if you love watches and all the gory details of the brand histories, grab this now.

Edited by Marv1n