When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 movement removal....HELP!

sishac

Hi all - I just got up the nerve to start taking my 1680 from Reg (by way of another RG) apart. Yesterday I soaked the bezel insert in bleach...didn't make that much of a difference, so I'm going to try it again. Well, I have to remove the crystal to shave it down 2mm, so I need to take out the movement. I opened up the case back with some duct tape and the movement I found wasn't what I was expecting I think...so, two questions:

1. Can you please identify this movement...its supposed to be a 21j asian movement. It keeps nice time, but I was surprised to find decals on the rotor.

TPR_8706.jpg

2. Can you please verify that in order to remove the stem, I need to push the circled recession. I'm 99% sure that is right, but I don't want to mess anything up.

RedSubmovement.jpg

Finally, I've attached two pictures of my first stab at trying to shape crown-guards. I used a small metal file to try and take some of the curve out of them. How am I doing? After I take the crown out I will work on the indside. Then I will probably try to shine it all up with a cape cod cloth;

TPR_8694.jpg

TPR_8695.jpg

And finally a picture of the caseback...apparently this 1680 has some 5513 blood in it...but it was made period correct in the first quarter of 1972 (I think)..

TPR_8698.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!