When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Would You Do?

dosanim

I have a question for the rest of members.

As many of us purchase rep watches, we often end up with DOA watches or watches doing fine until few weeks later, problem stem from normal wear.

I have not discussed with dealer yet. Thing is that it was special discounted item ($88.00) and we had to ship it back and forth couple of times.(we both spent money for the shipping). Few weeks after, retrograding date hand started malfunctioning as it started misaligned then completely off. I show it to local watchsmith for the repair. It will cost about $60.00. So, there, $60 repair for $88.00 rep.

What would be dealer's responsibility in terms of time duration. Should dealer be only liable for say first 30 days or more or less? I am asking general consensus so that we can have amicable and mutually beneficial relation between collectors and dealers. I don't know much about our forum dealer's individual after service policy. Again, this question is not to make an issue out of quality check which in most case, not possible and that's part of the game. However, money is hard and cold, they don't come easy and we have to earn to get it. Thanks! :)

Edited by dosanim

Depends on the contingencies agreed upon during the original sale. Was it used? Defective? Why was it first discounted? The word "sale" is usually synonymous with the word "problem". If it's a manufacturer's defect, by all means it's their responsibility. As cumbersome as it is to ship back & forth (waiting, questioning, hoping...) and all that goes along with that, that is the proper way to have the warranty & repair/replacement handled.

If you chose to take it to your local watchmaker, you should consider any original warranty voided & expect those new charges to come from your pocket, as the dealer/manufacturer no longer has any control over the quality or work performed and the liability for any future repairs or malfunctions have now been passed from his hands to yours.

Personally, I don't put up with defective merchandise--regardless of the source. At the first sign of trouble, I'll immediately be looking for either a return & refund or a return & exchange. From my experience, if it starts having trouble at the beginning--to me that's completely unacceptable--it's only going to get worse with time, and if the trouble is that soon in it's life-span then it's only downhill from there.

However, if it was a watch I was in love with, and I simply couldn't muster the patience to wait for the back & forth shipping, and the repairs were something I could easily afford to do, I would happily bypass the waiting and let the local smith take care of it--who in all honesty is probably much more competent than the factory's assembly-line workers who built it in the first place.

Hi,

Understand that what follows is only my opinion. You asked.....so here it is.

It's an $88 item. Already shipped back and forth.....money...and more importantly....time lost on both ends of the deal. While it's probably frustrating to you that the item does not work properly.....it's time to cut your losses and let it go. The dealer obviously cared enough to work with you regarding whatever issues there were in the beginning.....that's why it was shipped back and forth. They paid, out of whatever profit there was in 88 bucks, to ship at least a second time.

Money is important....but so is time. I don't know what your time is worth to you....but to have shipped it back and forth.....take it to a dealer for an estimate.....try to make up your mind what to do.....take the time to post for opinions....then wait and watch the board to see what others say.....you've already lost much more value than 88 lousy dollars. Money can be replaced. Time can't.

Whatever happened.....it's done. If the item is a lemon.....that stinks.....but it's not worth the effort you've already put into it. Keep it....practice modding on it.....take it apart to see how it works....sell it for parts.....drag it behind the car on the way to work.....whatever.

Maybe you can let the dealer know...and if you still want that item....they might cut you a deal on a replacement to avoid further hassle with this one watch. If not....so be it.....let it go.

It's only a rep....it's only 88 bucks.....and if that's a major issue....then, respectfully, this may not be the right hobby for you.

It's always a gamble. Gamble with the play money.....not the grocery money.

I would mention it to the dealer. see what they say. they may ask you to ship it to them and they will exchange it or fix it. Perhaps they will offer special deal on next watch. our dealers are great! but remember, even with gens there are problems. If you feel uneasy about asking for some resolution due to the time that has passed than go with your gut.

Thom

Quote: It's only a rep....it's only 88 bucks.....and if that's a major issue....then, respectfully, this may not be the right hobby for you.

It's always a gamble. Gamble with the play money.....not the grocery money

Thanks for the input. However, it was not about money issue but about what would be the reasonable period of time for both end that refund/repair would be done. As I stated early, it is a part of the game that we have to play. (I even have history with infamous RWG watch fiasco). But, there seems to be no clear cut guideline about it.

@ pman :D

@narikaa

Hey, it's npt about money I'm asking about. I deal with my clients same wheather it involved $90 or $10,000. I like the watch, so I ordered it. I'll repair the watch because I like it(mathmatically,not a good one since I threw the question about spending $60 for repairing $88 watch already).

For example, someone got yours and 2 month later, it broke , then do you replace it or give discount toward next purchase etc? I'm not here to play black and white or grey. I would like to see if there is a clear cut guideline so that we can enjoy our little hobby. :)

Edited by dosanim

Some people may disagree with me, but in my book any watch costing less than $100 is a "What the f***k" purchase. Sure, I expect it to work and appear as advertised, but I don't expect the same quality or long term reliability as on a $200 or $300 watch. You mentioned a retrograde calendar. I don't know how yours functions, but on a low cost watch I have particularly low expectations of the special functions. Your dealer has proven his caliber by shipping the watch back and forth a few times to resolve earlier issues. At this point, I think it is up to you to decide whether you like the watch enough to have it fixed locally on your dime. At the same time, I would let the dealer know and express hope that he would extend you an extra discount on your next purchase to acknowledge that this was a less than ideal watch. Hopefully your next watch is more problem free.

Good luck.

IT was originally over $100 plus, then was on a discounted price list. As you are saying, nowdays, I decided to purchase only higher end rep with most likely ETA movement. (It will be an another matter of debate as in the past). At leaset, local watchsmith can find parts easily with ETA(for me anyway).

Thanks for the input. :)