When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heart Rate Watches

Maui Jim

Im looking to buy a heart rate watch that has a heart rate strap and also count calories. I hear Polar and Garmin are the way to go. I bought a New Balance one, but you have to constantly touch it with 2 fingers to get a reading and I want one that is constantly monitoring my heart rate and my calories burned. Any suggestions?

I run and cycle with a Garmin Forerunner 305, and love it. It is older now, and larger, but the large size is easy on the eyes when moving fast. Only downside is if you just want the HRM (Indoors), it is pesky about wanting to find satellites.

Yes, with chest straps, and the Garmin runs an encrypted or private channel. No interference with other units that may be near you. The Garmin works fine indoors once you tell it you are indoors, but it defaults to searching for satellites to track your speed and distance. The Garmin might be overkill if you don't run/cycle or get outdoors much.

Yeah, I dont run outdoors or cycle. I just run or power walk on my treadmill. I just want accurate results since the treadmill counters are way off. I really need the chest strap or wrist strap for accurate heart rate for calorie count. Also, I need the pedometer and distance counter so when im out and about walking.