When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bakelite Box - Original Or Rep?

seriph

Hi all

Newbie here so be gentle!

I have just bought a Breitling box that looks like Bakelite to me.

The seller told me she got it when she bought an original Breitling watch in 1993 for her husband. I figured that it "could be" that Breitling was producing Bakelite boxes until then, but it does seem a pretty unique idea seeing as how Bakelite has only very rarely been used for decorative items since about the 50's/60's.

Anyway, it is speckled brown and it will be dropped off at the wife's work on Monday, so I guess I will know soon enough - I plan to make a nice insert for it and keep my Flying B No.1 rep. in it.

If anyone could provide any information on what the internals look like I'd appreciate that very much.

BTW I paid $28 Aussie for it, which seemed fair.

Thanks!

ps. If anyone is interested, here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250886349067&ssPageName=ADME:L:PMR:US:1123#ht_500wt_1413 - eBay's .au system won't allow me to download the images.

I am no expert on boxes but I don't think they make the rep one in that colour. IIRC they are all black. Of course that is not to say that they may not have done so in the past. I think chances are good it is genuine. Looks like this is the animal you have:

http://www.swx.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?24621

p1010706y.jpg

p1010707l.jpg

It will be interesting to see how you construct the insert. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for responding - I will let you know how I get on - the box is being delivered to my wife's work on Monday and I should be able to get onto the project by around 2067

:D

AM thinking I'd use what I call Photographer's foam which can be 'flocked' using black velvet-look stuff that they use for jewellery boxes etc. We have a firm in Melbourne that will help me out with that .... I do the grunt work cutting the shape as accurately as I can and they'll add my project to the end of one of their flocking runs .... had to make sure my pinkies typed accurately there

:)

I obviously won't be able to replicate that Breitling badge but I would oove to know if there are any around. I thought of using a rep. cufflink head but think they'd be far too small.