When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V72 Daytona Project - Advise On Parts Please

guru

I've enjoyed the Spinmaster 6263 "Big Red" I got from Valty a while back and am taking the next step...

So I have a clean, freshly serviced Valjoux 72 on the way along with a gen Tropic 21 crystal. The donor watch is really nice and I'm not going to rush into tearing it down, I will take my time and accumulate all the right pieces I need to do this right, within reason ;)

I'm leaning towards the DW case set which is priced at $399. It comes with a dial, but I saw the Yuki dial (pic below) which seems better to me, its $218 a la carte. The hour sticks look taller, and that is something I notice about all the rep dials. I hope to one day get a gen dial but that will be a huge investment not to mention very hard to find.

Where should I look for a gen crown and tube ? And what stem will I need ? Also is worth upgrading the pushers ? I see Yuki sells an upgraded set for about $150.

I like the riveted bracelets and will probably try to find a 19mm one. I'm not as picky about the bracelet as the dial and hands.

_DSC0574.jpg

Not ordered very neatly, but here goes:

-You should be able to find a gen 703 crown from many sources, including Yuki, if he's still got some in stock. You don't want to buy pushers from Yuki, though, as both Ofrei and Cousins sell excellent screwdowns for less. Clark Watch Parts also carries a set for even less, but I don't know anyone who's tried them. They look similar to the more expensive units, but it's hard to tell for sure based on the tiny pictures.

-I'm also particular about the tall markers, but the I find the Yuki's subdials a bit flat and featureless. I would go with ingod44 if I wanted an exotic, and one of DW's older dials if I preferred standard models. His newer batch has good print quality, but weird-looking subdials. Never tried NDT, but it and Phong are also possible sources.

-You should be able to find V23/72 stems from various sellers, but make sure you get a Rolex-compatible Tap 10 (i.e. 0.9mm).

-If you can afford a Phong case set, it's the best way to go for high accuracy and low hassle. However, I find DW's bezels to be superior, even if you do have to sand the inner edge.

Bit of a V72 franken renaissance going on right now! :)

Gen 703 crown with tube is not so hard to find. Tropic 21 is not so hard to find, too, but you already have one :) Try eBay, Yuki, Phong, etc.

About the dial, the DW's newer ones are not bad at all. Seriously, I am very impressed of the quality of my v72 white dial. Imho, much better than his old batch. The engravings are good, the coronet is very good on my example, only the sub-dials are a way too shiny... But rep is rep :)

Infact, stay away from NDT / Phong's Daytona's dials. They are just bad !

InGod's dials are also sometimes very good. I was (really) impressed with this one for example :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250821354757#ht_3477wt_1114

If we except the lack of symmetry of the sub-dials markings, the printings are just very good !

About the gen dial -- good luck my friend, it's almost impossible to find one at good price (where "good" means under 1500 EUR) :pimp:

As said before, Ofrei or Cousins pushers are very good.

And same - I think the DW's metal bezel is better (compared with a gen one, not "so much" differences). The black one is not so bad too.

If your v72 fits correctly the DW case, your build is finished soon :)

R.

PS: I'm sure this Spinmaster's Daytona is cursed - we all are falling into v72 builds :bangin:

InGod's dials are also sometimes very good. I was (really) impressed with this one for example :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/w...#ht_3477wt_1114

If we except the lack of symmetry of the sub-dials markings, the printings are just very good !

I have the white version of this dial in my '39 & I would have gotten this black 1 were it not for the off-axis layout of the minute totalizer (look at the vertical lines in each of the totalizers & you will see the difference). I have contacted the seller about this, but all of his black Newmans are printed this way

3colourblack%20COSWithRED.jpg

All of his Newmans are also marred by slightly too-small totalizers (too much space between the totalizer & outer minute track of the dial) & incorrectly placed (fake-looking) crowns. I replaced & correctly reoriented a gen crown on my '39.

Regardless of the seller, 62xx Daytona dials have always been a hit-or-miss affair. For a '63, I would probably start with DW & then check out NDT's & Phong's offerings. Most of these dials are fitted with terrible crowns. Some, especially from Phong, are so poorly made that they look like they were shaped with a chisel. On the other hand, excepting the horrid crown, a couple of Phong's dials were truly outstanding. So, if you are willing to perform a crown transplant & do not mind paying for an extra gen dial (it does not have to be a Daytona), you can end up with a quite accurate Cosmo

flat4bezel0051.jpg

For a '63, I would probably start with DW & then check out NDT's & Phong's offerings. Most of these dials are fitted with terrible crowns. Some, especially from Phong, are so poorly made that they look like they were shaped with a chisel. On the other hand, excepting the horrid crown, a couple of Phong's dials were truly outstanding.

I'm surprised to see you do not mention this horrible bold "DAYTONA" writing on the Phong's dial. I agree the rest is pretty good, but this "DAYTONA"... :confused: It simply screams "I'm a fake dial !"

6265 wh-1.jpg6263 blk.jpg

Or maybe are you talking about the PN dials ? I found the "DAYTONA" off too...

dscn8656.jpg

Is it a Phong dial on your second photo ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DW vj72 case from years ago that came with the screw down pushers. I have read that the ones that came with the set isn't as accruate as the "teeth" are spaced further apart than the gen. Now would the ones from Ofrei and various other vendors fit because i also read that the threading in the case for the screw down pushers is different.

I have a DW vj72 case from years ago that came with the screw down pushers. I have read that the ones that came with the set isn't as accruate as the "teeth" are spaced further apart than the gen. Now would the ones from Ofrei and various other vendors fit because i also read that the threading in the case for the screw down pushers is different.

Ofrei's pushers are the same parts that Rolex fits nowadays (just cheaper). Whether they will fit a given DW case is impossible to say, because the cases tend to vary a bit. The gen/Ofrei pushers fit some DW cases, but not others. The only way to know is to try. Unfortunately, in my experience, when they do not fit it is because the holes in the case are slightly too large. In these cases, the only (realistic) option (you could weld in new metal & then tap a new screw hole, but I think that is more work than the case is worth) is to reinstall the DW pushers or cement the Ofreis in.

Rolex used 3 different styles of screw pushers on 62xx Daytonas, but I have only seen the last version (which is what Ofrei/Rolex currently have) available for sale anywhere. I posted a thread a few years ago that showed the different pusher styles, but it may have gotten lost during 1 of the previous board upgrades.