When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice on a Daydate II please

ninjagaiden

Folks,

I am thinking about getting a more dressy watch than the ExpII I got from Josh last month, and like the look of the two tone DateDate II with ETA 2836 that Joshua has on offer (not sure I could swing the full yellow gold version). I favour the steel and yellow gold, roman numerals, and eiher a pearl dial or a gold dial:

http://www.1-pc8838.com/r41ddt01119-ssyg-pres-fluted-white-roman-swiss-28362-p-7108.html

http://www.1-pc8838.com/r41ddt01114-ssyg-pres-fluted-gold-roman-swiss-28362-p-7110.html

Any advice / recommendations would be most recommended. How do they wear under a shirt cuff? Is the YG plating reasonably tough (won't be wearing this every day)

Thanks

N

Nearly all Rolex watches come in two tone, except for the DayDate, which has always only been available in solid precious metals.

One of the few times Rolex made a mixed metal version of the DayDate was the Tridor (white, yellow and rose gold)

As for the toughness of the plating, as long as you treat it nicely it should be fine, but be wary that it will begin to fade.

If you are set on the 41mm version, go with either all gold or all steel.

I would recommend that you go with the steel version(s), Rolex's white gold is nearly indistinguishable from stainless steel.

Personally I think the 41mm is too bling, but the classic 36mm is elegantly understated, especially the stainless version with a smooth bezel.

Thanks for this. My own reading up married up with what you said, and given that there is no current DayDateII in two tone I got the DateJustII in two tone. I hope the two tone isnt a mistake. Somehow the full gold wrap seems a little too much bling, and stainless steel is just a little understated.

I agree that the 36mm stainless steel smooth bezel with the light blue dial and silver numerals that by-tor has reviewed is just stunning, but I have a gen Rado to wear for that kind of situation.

Elsewhere others on the forum, others have said the 18k gold plating on these reps is about as good as on a gen Seiko. I had one of those as a daily beater a few years back and it did pretty well. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

BW

N