When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advise on a purchase of a Gen 16550 Cream Dial Watch

indyberetta

I have an opportunity to purchase an all original Rolex Explorer II 16550 watch with the rare cream dial. It looks like the watch dates to 1986 when he purchased it. It is a friend of my wife that is selling it. He bought it brand new in 1986 and has all papers and box. The watch has never been serviced. That band shows some wear and has a dent in the clasp part, but the case is in excellent condition and the cream dial is mint.

What do you guys think is a fair price for the watch? I want it, but I don't want to overpay for it either. I see the prices are all over the place. I thought this forum would be a better place to ask then the gen forums because they always tend to think their items are worth more than they really are! lol

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

It is a gorgeous watch! The dial is such a unique color. I know that they were originally white, but have changed color due to a problem with the paint Rolex used on these early models. Most were replaced by the RSC with new white dials, so the remaining cream dials fetch what I have been told a premium.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-VINTAGE-EXPLORER-II-16550-CREAM-1986-/200652673303?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2eb7d4d117

Well indy, what I always do is run thru ebay and see what they say. Alas, there's only one watch and it's from Robert Maron out in LA and it's listed at $10,500. It has a jubilee bracelet which is kind of a funky swap. Should be a 93150 or a 78360.

So maybe $7500 is a fair place to start unless you want to start lower.