When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who has the best datejust?

sssurfer

Hi all,

a friend of mine (who believes I am an expert in reps) asked me to find a watch for him. He wants a Datejust w/ Swiss movement, white face, roman numerals, and Oyster bracelet.

Now, as a matter of fact, I am a complete ignorant about Rolex. So here I am asking any help from our experts in the matter.

I surfed all 'our' dealers sites and albums and I seem to have found it @:

Silixprime (model rols022)

King (model Rolex-223 Swiss)

Aspire (model W133 -- other models have the tilted "V"(5) marker)

perhaps EL (models dj16, dj18, dj27, dj34, dj42, dj47, dj67, dj76).

I am still unsure on whether EL's ones are in Swiss movt. I asked him about movement, crystal, and size, and his reply was:

sapphire

tw maker

standard man size 36mm

I may think that that 'tw maker' stands for his answer about the movement, and that it means 'made in TW'. Still, price would suggest differently. :blink:

I asked again EL for a confirmation, but had no reply so far. And I would like to have my friend waiting not too long.

So my questions are:

1) Do you know whether those models from EL are Asian or Swiss movement?

2) Which are the major flaws that one has to look for when considering Datejust models?

3) Do you know of any other dealer that is able to provide a watch like that I am looking for?

4) Or, shortly, do you already know if any model among those I took in consideration is better or worse than others?

5) Any other suggestion about the issue?

Really thanks,

sss :sss:

P.S.: I see I made a typo in the topic description. Sorry, I found no way to edit it.

slickdick,

thanks for your reply and that link to your very informative post.

About River, I already checked his place, but I was actually unable to find any Datejust models.

Maybe I am missing his actual link?

The one I used is: http://photobucket.com/albums/b327/river325/

Thanks slickdick, I found.

But then I am beginning to suspect that my friend told me something wrong when he said he wanted an Oyster band. He showed me a band like this, saying it was the Oyster model (but it looks different from River's):

10928-4800.jpg