When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Audiophile's Here? (not Pedophiles!)

slay

Simplicity reigns in my living room:

Rotel receiver/amp

Denon CD player

Linn Keilidh speakers (just two, no surround sound. This is a music-only, not "multi-media," system)

also a Sony cassette deck and Technics (the label boasts "Quartz"!!) turntable which I use once every few years.

I just got a pair of Tannoy Sensys dc2's for my Red Rose Passion and let me tell you, them three do sound like heaven (Shanling cd player powered)! I've been listening to bach beethoven mozart tschaikowsky and vivaldi for the past few hours and I just cant stop!

The music feels like magic in my ears, its just so damn good!! I just love this high end audio stuff!

If you want a real good system, look up AMR Audio (Abbingdon Music Research). I know the head designer and he has designed a lot of stuff. If you are really into audio, you may even recognize his name. He used to publish his designs freely and also review audio equipment.

His idea has been to make a system that costs 10k, and I've seen reviews in magazines that say his stuff is as good as others that cos 100k ! Basically he's an electronic engineer who used to work in studios as well as DJ, and this is his attempt to put out there system he made for himself into the market. A hobby that may one day pay money! There are good reviews around (6moons is one I found) just do a google search... I'm sounding like a salesman but I only work with him in an office job!

And slay, I'm sure you would appreciate German engineering more than most ;)

As for what system I have ? I am low paid, have a few thousand records and CDs here (I used to DJ), while my turntables (Technics 1210s) are stuck in New York City. My friend has probably sold them, it's been so long!

What that leaves me with is surround sound speakers and a subwoofer on the computer. Not good at all! I probably listen to more music at work than I do at home! The only other thing I have is a Sony CD/Tape deck/radio thing which is a pain to put anywhere as I have no space here.

I can't afford any system since the old one died, so I'm stuck with this. I have towers of records around me!

:(

Oh, that is Evangeline Lilly from the TV show LOST. I think she looks best with minimal make up. I guess I'm a big fan, though not the stalker variety.

no offense dude, but i doubt you have ever seen her with minimal make up.. or maybe you have, in which case i have a new person to aspire to!

So if any of you hotshots found yourselves reduced to hooking up an off-the-shelf out-of-the-box 2.1 stereo system (two speakers and a sub-woofer + integrated amp) to your computer, what would you go for?

How about a 5.1 surround sound package? Go with Klepsch, they're awesome. I understand the 2.1, 3.1, and 4.1 are also best in class.

EDIT: Klepsch offers serveral versions of their 5.1 promedia package. you want the one that is THX certififed.. go for about $500 bill. Yoy may need to upgrade your soundcard but if your PC has the capacity, this is real easy to do.

Guys - the testosterone is getting too thick in this thread with the wall of sound hardware.

I have the Massive Wall of Sound Yamaha system with the refrigerator sized Polk Audio speakers and the Mission 700 monitors in my basement, but I rarely blast them anymore due to the 8 month old baby in the crib upstairs.

Please allow me to highly recommend the Tivioli Audio Music System. The sound is unbelievable and the system itself has a retro look with a wooden cabinet that is like a piece of furniture. There are two 3.5 inch front firing drivers and a 5inch downfiring sub (that's -woofer not -mariner) that make the sound really full.

Plays CDs and MP3 CDs, has RDS, and can amplify your ipod or whatever player.

Just my two cents. Sweet! And all for a paltry six hundge. B)

YH

139491-17376.jpg

Old school, my friend. Watch Ebay for a pair of old JBLs and hook 'em up to a new Onkyo receiver....

I love the Onkyo sound...I use my old college setup--Onkyo reciever, Polk Audio bookshelf speakers--for sound on my PC. I'm no expert but it just sounds a lot warmer than the new system upstairs.