When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai reps of their "Greatest hits" what is your opinion?

Guest Sql_pl

I was just thinking about what Panerai does lately - milking money making "reps" of their "greatest hits". Do you think this is the way to go? Doesn't it take away from the old originals?

Producing older models again, producing watches with FAKE patina from factory....

Strange move on their part. I mean it is cool for someone who missed out on let's say first, real 029s for example or cannot afford some older gens with tritium patina but isn't it like for example this old 029 is not as exclusive anymore?

What do you guys think?

For me when it comes to any of the older versions.... anything OP brings out wont take away whats so enjoyable about those models...

I think OP, rightly or wrongly, change enough of the watch to make them nothing more than modern homages or versions of those watches... the 29M is a case in point... the different dial.. CG, Crown etc..

Overall though I like to see a lot of these new models.... though there are a few I really dislike.... For instance this year has seen the releases of several 47mms, now these are all variations on a theme but when you think that the last 47mm 50 case was the 267 and they go for 200Kand before that the 203 then I think it was a good time to release these versions..

I do think regardless of how I like some of these models it was a deliberate ploy... you may say cynical, on the part of OP to produce these latest models to take advantage of the following that OP has and the attitudes of that following to the more historic models... and more importantly their willingness to pay... the boutique editions probably underline this more than others..

But are they not only feeding demand... the fact is most of us here know, understand and enjoy PAMs.... the majority of guys buying these are after a Panerai... nothing more

So to degree we are looking on these models with a squewed or even sentimental perspective.... most people buying these are wanting to flash a watch about... just look at Risi in recent years.... how much is it now about PAMs, models, History, understanding, sharing etc ? It seems to be more about look at me, look what I bought, Look how many I have etc etc

I think OP are no more guilty of cynacism than we as buyers are...

Eg- Look what guys over the years here and on the other forums .... who care, who understand... have helped achieve in the quality and standard of reps that we now see..

If the gen forums had that sort of passion, understanding and drive then I think we would see OP pushing forward rather than reinventing the existing models...

As for exclusivity... maybe by someone having the 29M say... he will learn to appreciate it when he sees a 29B.... probably not but we can always hope... or maybe others will be driven to own the original rather than the new version.... Ooops there go the prices again then ;)

The whole Panerai scheme of things is the "retro" look...virtually all of their watches are variations on stuff first produced 50+ years ago...Only recently, have they even attempted to get "original" in the movement area...

Personally, I like these styles, and am grateful that there are replicas available that I can easily afford, but there's no way in hell I'd spend more than $500.00 to own a genuine one !!

Watches are simply costume jewelry to me, and variety is indeed the "spice of life" in that genre...

Since their primary clientele consists of folks with virtually unlimited funds, they are simply "playing to their audience" by supplying a variety of product, albeit themed on a somewhat tired theme...

My meager collection of Pam reps consists of as much variety as I can muster, with different metals, movements, sizes, and dial layouts.

My shelf now houses a 217, 036,212,192, 082, 090 in SS and PVD,and 22mm rose gold rad chrono fantasy.

With the exception of a GMT model, I have pretty much completed my collection