When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chanel J12 GMT with ETA movement

sneed12

For some reason, I've always liked the Chanel J12 watches. The reps are surprisingly good in terms of the quality of the ceramic, but the J12 GMT was never available with a decent movement before. I had a cheaper 21j version a while back and quickly gifted it away--it was nice, but I just don't like low beat reps of high-beat watches.

When I got this one, the first thing I noticed/realized is that it's a bigger watch than the last rep I had. It's the correct size (42mm) for this watch, the last one I think was a 39mm.

If you're like me, you look at watches from the inside out, so here goes.

First thing we notice is a really quite nice Asian clone ETA 2836-2, with perlage and a Chanel-signed rotor. Surprisingly pretty movement for a closed-caseback watch. Also notice a giant plastic movement holder instead of metal and tabs; it's sort of disappointing, but not hugely surprising given the way that the case is manufactured.

100_4110.JPG

100_4109.JPG

Here's the front:

100_4111.JPG

and here's a shot of a gen. As you can see, the rep is pretty good. Bezel numbers aren't quite as thick/solid looking, date font is not quite thick enough, but overall pretty decent.

chanel_j12_gmt__-thumb-450x393.jpg

The case has a really unusual construction (I assume the gen is the same way) that is incredibly annoying. Attaching the bracelet sucks, removing the caseback sucks, trying to waterproof it sucks.

100_4113.JPG

The csaeback looks decent, but it's a total scratch magnet--just the clasp rubbing on it tears it all up. Again, I'd bet the gen is probably the same way.

100_4114.JPG

100_4114.JPG

Everything together:

100_4115.JPG

Remounting the bracelet SUCKS. The endlinks are three separate pieces, and they rotate around as you're trying to get them into the lugs, and the spring bar holes aren't quite straight. Try not to take the bracelet off if you don't have to.

Wrist shot:

100_4117.JPG

It came with the jumping-hour ETA clone, so it actually has exactly the same functionality as the gen, which is pretty nice.

The only real complaints that I have are that the lume is awful (even by rep standards) and the bezel doesn't turn. It's a GMT so I don't care really, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for your review. I enjoy this kind of reviews especially when gen pictures included. I joined this forum few days ago and reviews like yours really help in the process of making decision on which rep to get.

I like this model in white, the bezel looks more accurate.

Edited by elle