When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 183 - Black Seal - Spot the rep ! Options

Thor

Page 1:

Which one is the genunie ? Black or brown strap ?

434-8002.jpg

434-8003.jpg

434-8004.jpg

434-8005.jpg

434-8006.jpg

434-8007.jpg

My guess is the black one is rep. :huh:

For me Black is fake ;)

my guess is the one on the black strap.

EDITED TO ADD: although the pic of both with the close up of the lugs shows that the one on the brown strap has thicker lugs....hmmmm.

Just goest to show what an awesome rep the 183 is!!

(hope the small but rabid anti-rep faction on paneristi do not get a hold of these pics...it's enough to drive 'em into a frenzy!)

Woops backwards...

Brown Strap = Rep 100% 2 tells...

Right BH....thicker lug wires

and even easier to tell in my opinion, the difference in the angles of the embossed PAM logo on the crown...

also look at the arrow coming out of the logo...the one that is more angled and doesn't have space between the arrow and the logo is the rep

The fake has the PRE-V logo on the crown

The more up and down/straight logo on the crown is correct...

much like the difference on the supposed Pre V 005 Reps (5218/201A)...the logo on the case back is correct for the Pre-V...the logo on the dial is the post acquisition new up and down one...the orig the more slanted on the 005 dial....

ok - I'll go with the brown being the fake

I also vote black - but boy is it close :wacko:

Making me seriously consider getting one but I am holding out to see the Fiddy with the Unitas movement.

Hey Josh, show us a pic from the back

@lancelot and josh...yeah right...no way. don't do it.

The logo is hard to tell, very very close. The pic is shot with the crystal facing each other.

It is the flutes (teeth) on the crown that tells it apart easily if you have a real deal to compare with !

So guys which one again ? ha ha

Page 2:

lmao.. god pls tell!

i have to go to bed!

@Spaghettiman,

The logo's are the same on both, one crown is upside down [ I see the 'angles' are different but the shape is the same]

Still disagree...I know they are facing different directions.

Look at the space between the arrow head and the OP on the solid side...the fake has very little space, while the real has more space between the bottom of the arrow head and where the letters start.....

Hard to descibe this stuff, and I am not smart enough to use photoshop type stuff.

Black strap is the rep. You can always tell by the stem. On reps, stem is recessed into the hands, creating a "cannon" effect. On genuines, the stem appears as a polished "button"...

But I could be wrong...

:lol:

Thank you, Joshua for illustrating how close the 183 really is.

I stand by my opinion. Black is rep.

I say the black is fake.

The edge of one of the hands looks unfinished with white stuff showing.

Brown strapped one is real.

both are reps B)

Black strap is the rep. Ditto on the hand stem.

I'll go w/ the brown for fake one

OMFG! These are soo sweet, I have no clue which is the rep! Both, neither? Good pics Josh!

Best Regards,

Chad W.

Black is rep . . . . but man is it close!!!!!!!!!!

my initial response was that the brown was the rep. my gut reaction was only due to one thing....and i could be very wrong..it was due to the font on the face. the font on the watch on the black strap seemed "cleaner" or "clearer'...better defined.

but again, i could be full of [censored]. it does happen......

The one mounted on the brown strap is real.

Josh - you are killing me!

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Black is rep, recessed pin and white stuff on the side of the hands. That's only two things that I know you can spot looking at the front side. The rest is pretty close to me. Anyone knows something else?

Black is rep...

I'd vote for both are Reps.

Page 3:

hello

it´s the one with the black strap 100%

best wishes

olreon

both are fake...

I'd say the brown is genuine, as it has a firmer crown... I don't know if the rep also has got a screw down crown, but the crown of the black looks too far apart - similar to my 163 - it is supposed to have a screw down crown in the original, but the rep hasn't...

I'm going with the Brown being REAL and the Black the REP. The Brown strap has more accurate font spacing in the Text and the crown points are crisp and larger. Also the recessed center pin looks real.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Great post Josh :thumbsup:

Both are Reps! :lol:

black one is the rep, hands are not perfectly painted in black on the edge but on the brown, it is/was a common problem with those hands...

Brown : authentic

Black : replica

the black is a replica.

I agree the stem is a giveaway.

If you look at the numbers in the sandwich face, the edges and corners on the brown face are cleaner and sharper. The black band numbers are a little more rounded and sloppier looking.

Having lived in Italy, I've seen Italian sense of fashion and detail. An genuine would not have left so many things "unpolished".

Black is the fake one.

Great post Josh!!

Jireh

Black stap is rep due to center minute hand ' finished '

442-7999.jpg

Black = Rep

black strap = rep no doubt 100% sure

i see 2 things that do tell you...

one is the cannon pinnion like already mentioned, anyone knows whats the 2.? ;)

Font spacing

hmm, that i don´t mean ;)

but i don´t see a difference in the spacing :blink:

anyone? bueller?

Crown dents are less sharp on black?

take a look at the pic, i circled the area.

on all reps the "tube" (i don´t know how if its really called a tube, this cylindric part in which the crown screws in) sticks out more than on the genuine.

ok,i could be wrong, you actually see some pics of the genuine if you search on the internet that have this too, but i think it was the prototype or an early model before mass production began (most of the pics on the net are promo shots from panerai) because on ALL current watches i have seen on the net or at local jewellers (watches in circulation) had the tube counter-sunk more into the case. and believe me i checked a lot.

442-8000.jpg

look here

442-8001.jpg

Page 4:

Ok, Time to reveal the answer. Guess you guys have some fun out of it.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Black leather strap is the rep. Almost all got it correct. Men, you guys are good !

Joshua

:thumbsup:

It is really hard to tell though. Thanks for the great pic comparison! :)

just got my 183 from EL today.... this post was perfect timing!

Black Strap!!!

In flaws,look at the 3 on dial and it miss the Little Steel part at the center of the Hands!!!

Bye

It's not hard to tell at all, I cannot believe some actually did not answer correctly. The stem holding the hand is just SUCH AN OBVIOUS flaw amongst few others less noticeable. Some of you really nailed it though :-)

Regardless, this is a coolest rep there is period. I like it more then any other PAM currently available.

@Lfovco

Hi...you speak about what???The Little Metal ring at the Center of the Hands?

Because If it's that...I had noticed this and Pismo too!

And there are another flaws...like the 3" which is not really well finished.

I will tomorrow take the Picture and try to Play at the Game of the 7 differences :lol: ... But in fact I don't think that there is 7 differences about the Exterior aspect!

Ciao

woooowwwwww..... that's mean EL sent me the real one.......... :drunk:

PS: Nice band on both

hello

@ palpatine

here are 2 pics of a genuine and it seems that the so called "tube" is the same as on the rep. i think there is no difference. the second pic showes the new pam183 h series, they only changed the printing on the dial. i hope that the pam183-H series will be available as a rep ..... only to complete my collection :thumbsup:

443-7995.jpg

443-7996.jpg :thumbsup:

best wishes

olreon

bottom line

the cost is <10% of the original, and the replica is >99% close B)

hi!

the first pic is one of the promo shots of the proto...so its the same as the rep (the rep was modelled after the proto like so often)

the second has the shorter tube difference (only slightly but its visible, but need some practice to see it) in the tube length that sticks out is a tiny bit shorter...

i repeat: ALL the genuine blackseals that i saw IN REAL LIFE have this difference. so i stay by my statement: you can spot a rep with this... i did several times and i was right everytime... ;)

I think it is the one with the black leather strap because of the flowing line of the watch from the side.

I feel it was pretty easy to tell. The missing "cover" where the hands are attached gave that one away. I wonder is it would be so hard for the rep makers to ad that piece. It is a very small detail but it makes all the difference here. Maybe they are leaving it out on purpose?

Hello to everybody!

I am new to this forum. This is my first post.

I´ve had too much fun reading this post. Despite I know little about panerais, even replicas are superb to me, I have to tell you that only looking at the second picture I think, in wich the brown strap one is above the black one I knew for sure which one was the real thing.

Who is going to put below a replica such expensive watch? Well I know this watches have shaphire crystals and are antiscratch, but who is going to try that?

Regards Manuel.

As you can see this is the reply of a guy with little idea. I am sure I´ll learn a lot here. Thanks.

I think baghandler made a valid point too, the numbers don't seem to be "stamped" out as clean as on the genuine... see pic...

Page 5:

You guys are just great :thumbsup: I feel proud to be on RWG observing how you evaluate these watches so well :) Factory vs RWG 3-10 :lol:

Regards

gran ^_^

easy, black is rep.

Font is not spot on.

i dont see a difference in the font. could you give us details what difference you are thinking too see?

I think this illustrates how damn good these reps are getting, without 10x magnification almost impossible to tell with the naked eye.

Thanks Joshua.

Cheers Johnkaz. :thumbsup:

um, i think the difference was pretty obbvious, but bravo to the rep makers. Honestly now, how can we expect that our replicas come that close to the original... the finishing is the big give away of our replicas the little stem cap, dial finishing, font, crown finishing, the band looks a little cheaper, etc. etc.

these are all minute difference. These rep's are incredibe! I can only wonder what our rep producers could come up with for a $2500 manufacturing price!!

Another way to spot the fake is if the crown and crown tube are stripped.

:lolcina:

All in all shows (1) how anal we can be :crazymofo: (2) a good rep is now verrry good and (3) most of you know way more than me! But the pins the easiest giveaway,. especially if you, like me, are paying to have this flaw corrected (and having to wait for parts!)

BBB

ps also will put a 183h on my shortlist for next purchase since it's getting so close.

For some reason I can't view page 2 or 3 so no idea if anyone has said it yet.

Black strap is fake - apart from the winding crown, the cannon pinion is recessed as with all Panerai replicas. Brown strap one isn't so it's real.

The glaring fault on all Panerai reps, except the Fiddy, is the crossbar in the 'A' in the PANERAI / MARINA. In all reps it is too low and this is glaringly obvious......... whenever you are aware of the fault it sticks out like 'a sore thumb'.

Ummmmmm........Please look at the date of the original post...................

8 months old?

Im sure that the black one is the Fako. This is my 2 cents worth but the pin for the hour/min hands is too recess for the black one and the finishing on the crown is better for the brown one. So Joshua am i right? :ablow:

black one is fake because of the recessed pin, but I have to say, that they are very very close, considering the price difference between the two....sometimes I question why sometimes have to pay that much for a more or less than the same unitas?? Although the gen one is 6497-1 and the fake one is 6497-2....

wow....

I can tell the difference but if this is the standard of your panerai collection in general im am very interested in getting one...very very nice watches!!

Hmmmm.... I think the Black strap is the rep.... Why i think that?????

quote name='Jos Nana' date='May 19 2005, 03:28 PM' post='152129']

Ok, Time to reveal the answer. Guess you guys have some fun out of it.

>

Black leather strap is the rep. Almost all got it correct. Men, you guys are good !

Joshua