When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Case

ww12345

I am getting a 5513 case from DW, but thought I'd post here to see if more experienced members could help me out and check dimensions.

Do these pics look right as far as dimensions go? I have asked for lug to lug measurements as well as inner rehaut measurements; will post those once I get them.

Here are the pics he sent me:

Extradimensions1.jpg

DSC043371.jpg

DSC043381.jpg

Thanks for all your help in advance!

"sorry to say - i have the same case - totally wrong - no gen or aftermarket part fit ....no 1:1 construction ..."

I have one of these cases too.

The dial seat is cut for a 1680 dial...a genuine spec 5513 dial falls through the front of the case.

The inner bezel that holds the crystal to the case is not genuine spec...the ID is too big so a genuine spec crystal will not fit.

The rotating bezel is held on the inner bezel by a spring wire...not snap on like genuine.

The sides of the case on mine are rounded like a DJ...not flat like a submariner.

The springbar holes are drilled for smaller springbars...you will have to drill them out for submariner springbars.

The case tube and crown are not genuine spec...but a genuine spec case tube will screw into the case.

One more litttle catch...there is no groove cut in the case for a genuine spec case tube gasket.

It sure looks good though. I'm gonna mount it in my trophy case full of lost causes. :pimp:

I have a 1520 and genuine spec 5513 dial, but since the dial is a no-go, I thought about maybe putting an aft/mkt 1680 dial on it with a section of date wheel (28!) cemented to the underside of the dial.

...or I could cement the hands on it too and save the 1520.

Slow set rule #1...The date is usually wrong.

Slow set rule #2...If the date is right...the canon pinion is usually worn out. :prop:

Hmmm...

Thanks for the response automatico. I remember reading that the bezel was spring and not gen-spec, but could that and the inner bezel be fixed by machining parts (ala JMB)? He machined a couple of gen-spec bezel retaining rings for me, so if that could be solved that way, that would be OK.

I can't really tell from the pictures he sent whether the sides are going to be rounded. I suppose that given enough metal, I could de-round and fix them, similar to the re-machining you have to do on Josh 1655 cases.

I sort of assumed that smaller size spring bars would be stock. Drilling them out is no big deal.

Neat on the gen tube screwing in out of box. By no groove for the tube gasket, you mean the crystal gasket that goes under the bezel retaining ring? I wonder if that could also be fixed.

So far, to me, it sounds promising, except for the gen dial not fitting. That is the one problem, as I know of no way to add steel to a case. :bangin:

I asked for different dimensions on the inner rehaut, so we'll see if he can help in that regard.

Like you said, automatico, it looks too good to leave alone. Darn my stubborn nature!

"I remember reading that the bezel was spring and not gen-spec, but could that and the inner bezel be fixed by machining parts (ala JMB)? He machined a couple of gen-spec bezel retaining rings for me, so if that could be solved that way, that would be OK."

You would need an inner bezel made to accomodate a gen spec crystal and modify the rotating bezel to snap down over it, or make a gen spec inner bezel and use a gen spec rotating bezel. I thought about making a new inner bezel that would work with a gen spec crystal and just use the spring wire rotating bezel that came with the case.

On spring wire bezels...you have to allow enough space between the inner bezel and rotating bezel for the spring wire to slide by so you can r/r the rotating bezel or it will turn out like a 'noobmariner' and bend the rotating bezel when you try to pry it off because there is not enough room for the spring wire to pass between the bezels.

"I can't really tell from the pictures he sent whether the sides are going to be rounded. I suppose that given enough metal, I could de-round and fix them, similar to the re-machining you have to do on Josh 1655 cases."

You could sand the sides flat and repolish them but it would take a while.

"I sort of assumed that smaller size spring bars would be stock. Drilling them out is no big deal. Neat on the gen tube screwing in out of box. By no groove for the tube gasket, you mean the crystal gasket that goes under the bezel retaining ring? I wonder if that could also be fixed."

There is a plastic gasket that goes between the case tube and case that fits in a groove cut in the case...there is no groove cut in these cases.

There is no groove under the crystal retaining bezel on my case...it is like the one in your pics.

"So far, to me, it sounds promising, except for the gen dial not fitting. That is the one problem, as I know of no way to add steel to a case." :bangin:

This is a big problem. The best/cheapest fix is to find an oversize 5513 dial.

"I asked for different dimensions on the inner rehaut, so we'll see if he can help in that regard. Like you said, automatico, it looks too good to leave alone."

Yeah, they do look good!

Aargh! I didn't know about the tube gasket, as well as the crystal gasket! :bangin: How would you cut for the tube gasket? Is it even possible to do?

I don't mind reshaping the case; as I said, the only thing that really appears to be the deal-breaker is the rehaut dimensions.

As far as the bezel, I can pull the bezel/retaining ring from the Josh 5513 I have now. I was hoping to upgrade to a less troublesome case... :g:

It is a shame that 1. DW is going out of rep business and 2. that his 5513/5512/1680 cases aren't super-reps like his Daytona cases. Hopefully I'll get this last case out, and it be right!