When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega PlanetOcean Chrono died :(

geestyleed

Hi guys,

I ordered a Planet Ocean Chrono (A7750, correct subdial spacing) for a friend of mine in October. The watch was running 24/7 for round about two weeks, but than died. Since my friend has no idea of watches - was his first automatic - I explained him everything into detail how to handle....Long story short I visited him two weeks ago and saw the watch was not running and I talked to him about it. I tried to get it back running - but failed.

From what I can see externally - Rotor spinns without wired noises - no unnormal noises at all, Setting Date and Time works - but thats it. I remembered that the watch had some problems from the beginning on to start - took a long winding time.

Do you have an idea what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

-gee

If it is an Asian movement you could send it to one of the experienced rep movement watchsmiths. Alternatively you could ask the dealer for a recommended servicer in your area or to send the watch back directly to him for repair if you and he agrees that the repair is a warranty repair.

If the watch is otherwise a keeper you could consider buying a standard ETA movement and swapping out the the movement (you would want to use the original datewheel though). Often the cost of servicing the Asian isn't much cheaper than buying an ETA. Depending on the particular Asian movement (I don't know what is in the PO Chrono) you may also find that all parts are not interchangeable between the Asian and the Swiss in which case the replacement parts (if any) may be difficult to get.

sounds like a balance wheel/mainspring problem?, perhaps a clamp has come loose or the spring needs a good clean/lube...or a service on the whole movement...i had very same problem on my seamaster chrono-ran fine for 2 months when i first got it but then one morning it died...would wind fine on the crown, rotor was fine, date and time change worked-but the watch was dead, it just wouldnt start anymore...i managed to find a friendly local watchsmith who despite it being a replica was prepared to atleast have a look at it, but only if i agreed that if he broke it further i was just to accept that it was a poorly made movement and he could not offer a guarantee that any fix would last as the parts were counterfit...i agreed-so he whipped the caseback off, removed the antimag cover, seen that it would wind on the rotor/stem but then noticed the balance wheel wasnt ticking and certain cogs were no longer turning when winding the watch...i left it there a week and after a service and making sure all the cogs/clamps/screws etc were sat properly in the movement its been ticking away happily for over a year...a small clamp/cog had worked loose and was jamming the movement-he also said the movement was very dirty which was also causing the watch to not tick as the parts could not move freely...could be same prob with yours?. as for getting a replacement eta movement you may have a job as the sub dials are at 3-6-9 on the planet ocean chrono...if its a newer model replica it has a modified asian 7750 and im not sure you can buy those-you can buy a standard asian 7750 though with 6-9-12 sub dials from cousins but at over £100, for me, the service and clean on mine which cost just over £80 was a better choice-i was more happy with a fully serviced, fully cleaned movement. so my advice is try and find a local watchmaker-not a jewellers or authorised dealer though! a nice back street personal owner run shop etc, say you got the watch from a local bootsale/yard sale/bought off friend etc, say its not ticking and can he take a look, if hes friendly he'll tell you its a fake, but take a look anyway...if hes not friendly he'll say its a fake, tell you hes not prepared to touch it, and ask you to leave!

im sure theres people on here too who you can send the watch to for repair but other more experianced members will be able to inform about this.

anyway these are just my ramblings that may not be of any use to you! but if they are great stuff! either way, good luck with getting the watch going again.

Sounds like a classic case of "A7750-itis" These movements are often sold in atrocious condition, unoiled, and filthy... requiring immediate servicing in order to run properly....

IMNSFHO, a new watch should be able to function properly without needing to be serviced for at least a year or more...Rep or Gen!!!

The common reply on the rep fora has been, :" once you get it serviced, it'll run fine" I call BS on that!!!...Why should we have to spend $150.00+ to get a NEW watch running right...???

I have bought DOZENS of cheap A21j watches over the years, and have never had a problem with one within the first year of ownership....Why should we accept "junk" in our 7750 purchases...???

As long as we continue to accept this [censored], the dealers will continue to dish it out!!!