When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Don Ramon gold plating.

greekgod

Hello guys,

Just wondering what sort of gold plating (quality wise) and (technique wise) is done on a Don Ramon. What if I want to have a little Franken project of my own, not in terms of adding gen parts but in terms of increasing the aesthetics of the watch and get it gold/rose gold plated from a jeweler. Would that add life to it?

haha yup.. but still in the infancy stages ..need money ..lol ..THx for the input toro..but is the case made of SS to start with? I was thinking that if the case is plated with poor quality . I will get the case stripped of the rose gold plating and then start fresh with new coat of R/gold.. will that work?

These new plated reps are done with a PVD coating...lasts way longer than the gold-plating....and if you need to strip the excisting coating, you can allways have it re-coated...talking about around 100GBP.

Theo

would there then exist a need to get it recoated for daily use if it lass really long?

if interested i have some that does all kind of gold plating or platinum wg rg

Thanks zorro... will keep that in mind...thing is I dont have a Don ramon yet :) ..do you know what sort of price range we are looking at for R gold

Gold Plating | easyelectroplating.co.uk

this company does gold plating and said they could plate over an existing plating. i want a franck muller plated. it already has a 5 micron job but i want another 5 microns to make sure i can use it on a daily basis. the watch is rose gold.

thx for the link mate ...so u going ahead with the FM plating?

Toro, it's nice to see you posting here! ;)

Cheers,

MM

+1

hi greek .. what would you want rg plated .. the whole watch again or just bezel or case ?

HI Zorro, mate I was thinkning the whole watch, but I am sure I would have to get the bezel coated separately.

What I've heared the RG coating is rather good? Should atleast be good for a few years.

IMO, wear it till it starts to fade, then re-coat it. :)

I guess thats good too .. lets see how long does the rep coating last. But I wanted to be sure they do use real gold in coating the rep ?

no worries greek .. i will ask him tom ...but to keep the cost down .. better to get the watch mooded first maybe supper lume and water proofed and send the case+cb and bezel would be much cheaper !!

When I had my grandfathers Bulova plated it was a two step process. The watch was originally all gold and I had them nickel plate it and then rhodium plate it. This is what my jeweler said is done on all good white gold platings. That way if the rhodium plating is scratched or worn off, the nickel plate will still keep it shining like new. He also told me that most white gold pieces need to be re-done every few years if worn regularly.

The plating cost me $150.00

Before:

Bulova.jpg

After:

Bulova1-1.jpg

When I had my grandfathers Bulova plated it was a two step process. The watch was originally all gold and I had them nickel plate it and then rhodium plate it. This is what my jeweler said is done on all good white gold platings. That way if the rhodium plating is scratched or worn off, the nickel plate will still keep it shining like new. He also told me that most white gold pieces need to be re-done every few years if worn regularly.

The plating cost me $150.00

Before:

Bulova.jpg

After:

Bulova1-1.jpg

Hey Red thanks for the info and the pics .. I reallt like that watch ... its simple and nice.. So underneath that whitel gold is the original yellow gold??

Hey Red thanks for the info and the pics .. I reallt like that watch ... its simple and nice.. So underneath that whitel gold is the original yellow gold??

The layers from outside to inside are Rhodium (White Gold), Nickel, Yellow Gold. I didn't know this until I had the process done, but there is actually no such thing as white gold. White Gold is just yellow gold with Rhodium plating on it. Same with Rose Gold. It's just a plate over top of yellow gold. (Pretty obvious when you think about it, but hey, you learn something new everyday!)