When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

At the request of Greekgod: HKtan hornback vs. authentic AP hornback

DD GT3 RD

great example of an HK Tan Hornback

Beautiful worksmanship, and really built to last.

I really like mine and would only suggest that the lug hole gaps be squarer to match the gen. Many have done this mod but need to be careful not to overdo it

Edited by Jurgenk

DD GT3 RD much obliged by your post ..Thank you very much indeed for this...not many have access to the Gen strap and I think this post was required. thanks again .. and the strap looks very nice... what are your thoughts on the +,- of HKTAN? How similar to gen do you feel it i?

Of course! You guys helped me out and my pleasure to return the favor!

I don't feel it is very similar to the Authentic AP. Yes the basic shape and design is but for one the rounded tip/area where it hooks to the watch is an automatic give away. The side of the bands are different, the authentic is very smooth and maybe coated in something, the HK is not. The AP has a more aged look, more lines in it, wrinkles etc...I did get the watch used but even in the store the ones I have seen look more like this. The HK is smoother looking.

But IMO those arent negative but u asked the difference and to compare how close it looks to the genuine. I think the HK strap is absolutely stunning. Its nice to look at. Deciding selling it or what to do with it. Why you selling yours?

• 8 months later...

Nice comparison. and irrespective of the thread and shape differences the real difference for me is the skins. Whoever makes the straps for AP understands they are making a strap for a $25k watch and goes to the trouble to select the perfect horn back skin which always enables the strap to have at least two properly centered horns (if not three) running down the length of each side of the strap. It is a very expensive way to make straps as it restricts what skins can be used and how many straps can be made from a skin but it is the right way to do it for a haute horologie watch.

Very informative post, OP!

I own 3 HKTan straps and I would have to say that I like the worksmanship, they are good straps, though you can expect them to be more "raw" and "rugged" when compared with the genuine AP straps. The HKTan straps are generally less smooth and fitment of the endlinks or buckles could sometimes be a problem, but I am generally happy with his straps. FYI, Aaron offers "high" horns as well.. the horns on these would be much more pronounced then the ones shown in these set of pics. They're not for everyone, but I do like them on my sportier watches. Could make fitting the watches into the winders a terrible chore though. :lol:

I know what you mean Legend .... for me, I think the more rugged look suits the Montauk Highway. Of course these may not be to the same standard as a genuine - they're one-offs! From memory HKTAN was offering these for $269 which a lot of people would stop at I guess - when I have the money for a strap of this calibre I will be getting in touch .... it is worth it to me as I will be keeping my Monty for life. Even making a custom box for it IF I ever get the time to finish it!

I know what you mean Legend .... for me, I think the more rugged look suits the Montauk Highway. Of course these may not be to the same standard as a genuine - they're one-offs! From memory HKTAN was offering these for $269 which a lot of people would stop at I guess - when I have the money for a strap of this calibre I will be getting in touch .... it is worth it to me as I will be keeping my Monty for life. Even making a custom box for it IF I ever get the time to finish it!

Yes mate, I think the strap, like the watch, is ultimately a matter of personal taste and preference. If you like an HKTan strap on your MH, and it fits well and looks good to you, then I would say it would serve its purpose well on your wrist. The "genuine factor" on the straps is largely subject to personal preference. To me, for example, a lot of aftermarket stuff for my cars are much more interesting than the OEM ones. Its your watch and your wrist Seriph. You decide. :drinks:

exactly - I love the watch - don't care who likes it or not ... the supplied strap is bearable but I just know it is going to fail and it feels of poor quality - these look brilliant and are VERY hand made. Genuines are around a grand USED and for me, that's what I'd spend on a high-end franken, not a strap.

:D

exactly - I love the watch - don't care who likes it or not ... the supplied strap is bearable but I just know it is going to fail and it feels of poor quality - these look brilliant and are VERY hand made. Genuines are around a grand USED and for me, that's what I'd spend on a high-end franken, not a strap.

good thinking.

I just sold a MH with gen strap + gen white rubber strap, for slightly more than $1k :D

If I were you, I would definitely opt for the HKTan hornback. You're right, it is handmade and the quality should suffice in terms of look and feel.

All the best in your quest bro. :drinks: