When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Lume - Pt 3

PeteM

I wasnt sure whether to add this to part 2 of my other threads or to start a new one... as you can read I chose the latter as some guys may not refer back to Part 2 and I wanted to make some further comments regarding the lume processes by OP in respect of Manual Wind models and Automatic models.

As I wrote before the manual lume is as per Part 2 but the Automatic models are lumed in a completely different way...

So as I described previously but will recap here:

The process for both manual and automatic is the same up to a point..

1) Cutting the brass plate

2) Reworking the plate to correct size and thickness

3) Installation of the feet

4) The milling or stamping of the brass plate

5) Polishing the brass plate

6) fine glass bead blast (This helps provide the sheen needed after varnishing as the varnish does not do this alone)

7) Galvanic Bath

8) Varnish application (Zapon with Thinner and Hardener) Finish varies dependant on model ie Satin Sheen, Semi Gloss.

After this the process changes

The Manual is as described in part 2 and is always applied by hand... Hence the variations in lume height and thickness etc

The Automatic models.... regardless of texture or colour... ie 029 or 082 to name a couple for example are not lumed by hand

The dials recieve a print using a stamp pad machine (Cliche) this is a metal stamp unlike the reps which are laid in plastic. The paint is Berlac unlike reps.

This stamp places the hour and 5 minute markers etc, GMT, Chrono etc to the dial, the lume is still not applied yet.

Only after this and all the Berlac paint is applied the lume is then applied... BUT this is not hand applied... it is applied using a screen print... this contains the lume... so technically speaking the automatic dials are not a sausage dial in the traditional sense....this process also limits the variations that you see on the manual dials...

This is because the dials can and are done in larger batches and are done by machine rather than hand so there is not the inconsistency that you see in the manuals being done by different lumers or over longer periods of time... even the next day dials can vary from the day befores... due to mixing variations etc..

As you know the manual dials are filled twice as in Part 2 they are filled with a fluid (wetter) lume and then built up with a slightly harder/dryer mix to help apply the correct lume height.

I hope that clarifies the differences in Autos to Manuals...

Another point to note is the Berlac paint colours.... these vary much more now and we have seen a move away from white to more tones such as Old radium to match the lume, beige or Dark Egg Shell etc this is also relevant to the typeface below the 6 O'clock marker.... this is also placed using a very special pad print machine of which there are only a few of that can create the quality and sharpness of the gens...

I hope all that makes sense... and clarifies the details in part 2 of my threads.