When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Royal Oak Offshore Ultimate Grand Prix

ag82

Hello guys, this watch has grabbed my attention and I see that it comes in three different colors... but I was not sure how close is it to the gen... I know people have some issues with the carbon fibre look....

I dont see a review done on this watch, if there is any can someone post the link.... otherwise if people can give their opinions about the build and quality would be great...

And out of these three which one is best....

post-41417-0-46563800-1325536205.jpg

post-41417-0-59544100-1325536253.jpg

post-41417-0-57730900-1325536256.jpg

The faux carbon is really the biggest drawback of all 3 models, but more so for the top (all carbon model) as it not only has more fake carbon surface area than the other two, but the case-back and pusher guards aren't made in proper titanium, which is slightly darker/warmer in color and also the gen parts have a slightly rougher sandblasted finish.

There are other minor variances with regards to colors, details, etc. But still excellent overall.

Carbon replacement: as per some posts I made before Christmas, I'll be working on producing actual carbon parts for this model. Some earlier experiments yielded very good results, and I'm confident that it will translate to some really high quality carbon bits that will put this watch over the top as a super rep.

The faux carbon is really the biggest drawback of all 3 models, but more so for the top (all carbon model) as it not only has more fake carbon surface area than the other two, but the case-back and pusher guards aren't made in proper titanium, which is slightly darker/warmer in color and also the gen parts have a slightly rougher sandblasted finish.

There are other minor variances with regards to colors, details, etc. But still excellent overall.

Carbon replacement: as per some posts I made before Christmas, I'll be working on producing actual carbon parts for this model. Some earlier experiments yielded very good results, and I'm confident that it will translate to some really high quality carbon bits that will put this watch over the top as a super rep.

So its better to wait a little more, till all of these things get fixed and maybe it becomes a super rep and then buy it.. As it is not cheap right now... I think I will wait and buy some other rep for now...

Sounds like the people who really know the watch, i would say

they are waiting for the next generation. i would think only a few

months! I am just guessing and going off of what a dealer told me.

It's really un to the factories when they will make it, and we usually

do not know until its ready. This way we do not drive the dealers

nuts. ;)

MM

So its better to wait a little more, till all of these things get fixed and maybe it becomes a super rep and then buy it.. As it is not cheap right now... I think I will wait and buy some other rep for now...

FYI - this IS a super rep. :) if it was quarts with mineral crystal wrong subdials ect that would be non super.

There was also discussion about the colors of the red and blue. After checking this watch out on you tube, i think they are pretty dead on. - The subdials its harder to tell, reflections can distort subdial color.

The subdial color at 6 o´clock is off....needs to be a lighter gray, rep color is too dark here.

The blue on the main dial is fine, only thing missing is the metallic effect the gen has.

All in all a super rep....I love it and wear the PLATINUM version every day for 3 weeks now.

Dr. Theo

No problem as I have my MH with me today.....here´s a quick pic of both watches together on my 6.75" wrist.

The GP has exactly the size I wish a ROO should have....44mm is THE size for the watch....so I am excited to see the new chrono line being released with 44mm (anytime this year).

Enjoy my pic...

Theo

post-334-0-77855400-1326123594.jpg

• Like 1

Indeed, the new 44m case IS the shizzle! Feels closer to the Shaq/T3 in size without being over the top. The wider strap is also more comfortable and makes an otherwise heavy watch feel much lighter.

MADRED, would you happen to know the size of the allen key needed to remove the crown guard screws? I know that the case-back needs a 1.5mm tool, but I don't have anything small enough for the CGs. Knowing what size is needed would help me a great deal :)

Also, has anyone else tried to disassemble their GP?

Edited by Imaknockov

FYI, I've chieftanged both my rueben barichello and rubber clad.

It increased their awesomeness dramatically.

For those with a good gen AP collection, is the Un ar'd crystal clearer than the rep crystal? Of my friends with ap's and rolex, it seems to be Better than the rep crystal. Closer to an AR look, but def not as good as AR and I know dial color has a lot to do with it. I need to start an AR thread

The AR on rubber clad makes it dreamy.

The AR on barichello totally changes the look of the watch. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but I do :) it kinda widens the dial. It's almost as if you stretch the dial without stretching the bezel. The crystal just disappears.

I need AR on all my pieces, more important than the watch and probably on par with a good strap