When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

201/A Pre-V Project; Dial Suggestions Needed

atomic_doug

Hi All,

My Panerai 5218-201/A Project is almost done.

I have a gen crown and CG, and a pair of gen service hands.

I re-shaped an old homage (unknown maker, but no strap notches) case to make the lugs look stubbier and have the nice rounded edges and sloping shoulders. I also gave it a light aging because I don't like old watches to look brand new. A new crown tube was machined for the case.

All I have left to get is a dial.

I don't like DSN's latest Pre-V dials and the FGD dials seem impossible to obtain.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to get a good-looking dial that will complete my project?

Thanks all!

2 things I would suggest... save the gen crown, CG (I'm assuming it's not an original Pre-V era CG which would cost silly money) and hands for a killer contemporary franken build as they will not be as accurate for an earlier Pre-V build.

And place a WTB for a FGD dial. The last time I did that I had 2 on the way in less than a week.

2 things I would suggest... save the gen crown, CG (I'm assuming it's not an original Pre-V era CG which would cost silly money) and hands for a killer contemporary franken build as they will not be as accurate for an earlier Pre-V build.

They are genuine Pre-V. (I've been sitting on them for years waiting for a pre-V case to come along.) The crown I got by chance, the CG and service hands come from an owner (a friend of mine) who was in a bit of a boat-accident with his own pre-V piece. An accident which I partially precipitated. Neither the CG nor hands are in tip-top condition, but who wants a perfect watch anyway, right? But in any case...

How are Vac's dials? I've never seen one. I PM'd Marty, but I think he's on vacation or something. Plus, I'd like to have a little choice.

They are genuine Pre-V. (I've been sitting on them for years waiting for a pre-V case to come along.) The crown I got by chance, the CG and service hands come from an owner (a friend of mine) who was in a bit of a boat-accident with his own pre-V piece. An accident which I partially precipitated. Neither the CG nor hands are in tip-top condition, but who wants a perfect watch anyway, right? But in any case...

How are Vac's dials? I've never seen one. I PM'd Marty, but I think he's on vacation or something. Plus, I'd like to have a little choice.

I believe he's suggesting that Vac still has some FGD dials in stock.

I'm impressed... but forgive me for asking, why would you put a gen 1990's Pre-Vendome CG on a rep watch????? I assume you know it's value... you could buy a very nice gen PAM for what it sells for.

I know how much I could sell it for. ...well, certainly less than if it were in good condition. The reason it's not currently on the watch it came on originally was due to damage.

I wouldn't sell it though because it was given to me. "Hey, you want these spare parts to mess around with?" (Remember this is also nearly twenty years ago and Panerai wasn't nearly then what it is today.) I have a big baggie from my youth full of old watch parts. If I were to sell them, I'd really have to give whatever I sell them for to my friend. If I put them on a nice rep-project...well, why not?

Naturally, I wouldn't ever modify the CG to make it fit the case. (The fit isn't completely perfect, but then, I've seen some gens where the crown guard doesn't sit perfectly either.)

Edited by atomic_doug

• 10 months later...