When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What if...Hybrid 111...(Turn away if you're a Pam Purist)..

justlounging

To start this thread off, I would first like to thank oncyte (RG) for planting this 'seed of creativity' in my head.. :cool:

As you Pam geeks are familiar, oncyte had built in 2011, a 183H with brushed gold hands..it looked fantastic and really brought life to the entire watch..

I read up more and started noticing many gen owners modding their 183s and 210s with gold hands..this seemed like a trend but why limit to only the Radomir models?

This got me thinking..isn't the 183 the same as the 111..they both have hour, minute and seconds hands..they both have sandwich dials..they are both running on the 6497 movement..difference is one is housed in a 45mm Radomir case, the other in a 44mm Luminor Marina case..

Here are some pics to illustrate this:

183:

pam1831.jpg

111:

111bq.jpg

Credit is given to oncyte for his pictures (and his fame countertop :p ), I did a mock up of what if gold hands were mounted for the 111J...here it is:

111jgoldhands.jpg

I also read that Panerai will be launching the PAM 422 this year..basically a 111 with gold hands in a 47mm 1950s case..

pam422.jpg

Flipping thru some of the pics I had on Pams, I came across these 2 Vintages (from the PAM 2012 calendar):

vintagepam.jpg

vintagepam1.jpg

Call me an old soul in a young body but I like the patina and contamination on the brushed gold hands and matte dial..

So i embarked on doing this mod for my 111J..After a couple of PMs with oncyte (who had been of great help), I went ahead yesterday and got this result:

img0872f.jpg

Hour and Minute hands brushed but lume got slightly dirty due to the removal of black paint..

Another few PMs to oncyte and he told me that he also encountered this issue as well when he modded his 183H..liquid hand soap, water and a Q tip...it managed to remove the stain alil but it wasnt strong enough..

Got some opinions from some local members on this and they all encouraged me to go ahead with brushing the seconds hand..and so today I did..practised on a spare seconds hand first before I sanded away at the 111J seconds hand..

To solve the staining of the lume, I raided the kitchen and came across the dish washing detergent..Maybe that might work and so I tried, with my fingers crossed and half expecting the lume to just fall off..

I must have assembled and disassembled this 111J at least 5 times in 2 days :rolleyes: but I am very pleased at the end result..

Apologies for my ranting..please enjoy some of the pics.. :)

p1050421am.jpg

p1050422d.jpg

p1050425f.jpg

Mounted on rep Assolumente Strap

p1050424ab.jpg

Wristie with natural light falling on the dial

p1050429gg.jpg

Lume shot..just as bright as it was before the mod..

p1050435r.jpg

I'm now planning to fix in the Gold hands from the recently released Pam 390 in the near future, just for the fun of it..

I expect the purists Pam geeks to cry blasphemy but hey, it's my watch and I like it..I hope you do so too.. ;)

And should i decide to go back to the original 111J, i got a spare set of hands (thanks Chromed!)

This watch is gonna be on my wrist for the first day of the CNY...To all Asian members, Gong Hei Fatt Choy!

To all other members, this is the best time to take a break from the onslaught of the N and H factories..cool down the credit card.. :lol:

• 8 months later...