When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling SA for Franken'ing

JJBliss

"Thankfully" the CNY has given me an opportunity to do even more research. Without the built-in cooling off period for the next few weeks, I would likely have pulled the trigger already on a V3 rep from Perfect Clones.

Now, after giving it some thought, it seems that I really want something that I can ultimately get a little closer to gen if possible. This means a little franken'ing. I looked into watch tools, gen parts from eBay, and past franken sales on this forum and others. It looks like somethign I could probably do - but I have a few questions:

I'd be willing to pay someone for their skill and labor so I don't have to risk my own SA rep to a failed franken project. What is a fair price to pay on this forum's sales section for a White Baton SA with gen dial and gen bezel? I am perfectly capable of changing the bracelet to a gen Pro II when I'm ready.

Also, I see that the V2s are generally unavailable, which ALSO lends me to think that buying one from a collector or modder who may have one is a better bet. However, maybe you folks know something I'm not seeing. Is there a SA rep that is moddable with a gen bezel and gen dial? If so, link please.

Lastly, if someone HAS one of these, or a trusted modder/collector who is willing to put one together for me, please let me know.

Thanks

JJ

On second thought ( now I'm talking to myself)

It's a Breitling bezel so we're talking just screws, right. And used gen bezels are, like, $100. It really IS just screws and press the bezel on, correct?

That I can do.

So I guess I'm just looking for the proper rep to do that with, and of course someone to change the dial to a gen dial.

Right?

Here's the humble opinion of someone who has already built two Franken SAs. My advice would be to buy one of the current, upgraded V3 SAs. Be sure to get it on the bracelet. Then stop right there. You're done. Going Franken with one of these is far more aggravation than you're anticipating, and the "improvement" from adding gen parts will be far less noticeable than you think.

First, the current V3 models have upgraded dials that are much closer to gen. The baton markers on the upgraded V3 models are two pieces, just like the gen. The original V3 used one piece markers, and that's the reason everyone was going ga ga over gen dials. The current rep dials are fine, and gen dials sold on eBay are a complete rip off. They're overpriced, and most of them arrive with scratches on them because whoever removed them did a half-assed job.

Second, swapping dials on an SA rep is a nightmare. The problem is the hands on the rep. They're garbage. You cannot get the subdial hands off without breaking the pinion off. My watchamker did my two SA dial swaps, and even he managed to break a couple of them. Then you're stuck either gluing them back on, or trying to hunt for replacement parts. The chinsy hour and minute hands also picked up some scratches during the swap process. After it was done, I wished I'd never bothered changing the dials.

Third, there is no reason to buy a gen Pro2. You would never be able to tell the difference between the new V3 rep bracelet and a gen Pro2. They are almost identical. I compared two gen Pro2s with a V3 rep Pro2. There were more differences between the two gen bracelets than there were between either of them and the rep. The biggest difference is that the quality and finish of the link screws on the rep is not as good as the gen (obviously). That said, the rep screws are more than satisfactory. Note that I'm not referred to the old rep bracelet that came on the V2 SAs. That bracelet was nowhere near as good as the V3. There - I just saved you $500. You're welcome. :)

Fourth, installing a gen bezel on a V3 rep is NOT something that just screws on. It's a nightmare to do it. It's a nightmare getting the rep bezel off, and a bigger nightmare trying to get the gen to fit on the rep. The only person I know who has ever done is successfully is Smidsy ,and he works in a watch repair shop. There is nothing wrong with the rep bezel either. Again, save your money.

The only real issue you will have with the V3 is that the movement is not the most reliable. I have no idea why. With this rep, it is best to NOT run the chrono. Some people will tell you this is true of any A7750, but the V3's chrono mechanism seems especially sensitive to mis-alignment when reset. I just wouldn't use it.

Last but not least, I would avoid V2 SAs entirely. Some people like that they're more water tight, and the bezel may be a bit better quality. However, the crown tube on the V2s is a disaster. EVERY one of them eventually get stripped and you can no longer screw down the crown. I've never seen one that didn't develop this problem eventually. I wouldn't even consider one.

OK. Well that was more then I expected but exactly what I was hoping for. THANK YOU!!!!

Got a link for one of those "magic" V3s? I have a few bookmarked, but I'd like to see which one you're specifically talking about.

I appreciate the advice.

J

As long as it's a V3 it should be the right one. The original batch of V3s should be long gone by now, unless you're unlucky and your dealer had one sitting around for a year. I think the bracelet was introduced at the same time they upgraded the dial, so as long as you get the bracelet model, you should be okay.

• 3 weeks later...

This is brilliant advice. Thank you.

Here's the humble opinion of someone who has already built two Franken SAs. My advice would be to buy one of the current, upgraded V3 SAs. Be sure to get it on the bracelet. Then stop right there. You're done. Going Franken with one of these is far more aggravation than you're anticipating, and the "improvement" from adding gen parts will be far less noticeable than you think.

First, the current V3 models have upgraded dials that are much closer to gen. The baton markers on the upgraded V3 models are two pieces, just like the gen. The original V3 used one piece markers, and that's the reason everyone was going ga ga over gen dials. The current rep dials are fine, and gen dials sold on eBay are a complete rip off. They're overpriced, and most of them arrive with scratches on them because whoever removed them did a half-assed job.

Second, swapping dials on an SA rep is a nightmare. The problem is the hands on the rep. They're garbage. You cannot get the subdial hands off without breaking the pinion off. My watchamker did my two SA dial swaps, and even he managed to break a couple of them. Then you're stuck either gluing them back on, or trying to hunt for replacement parts. The chinsy hour and minute hands also picked up some scratches during the swap process. After it was done, I wished I'd never bothered changing the dials.

Third, there is no reason to buy a gen Pro2. You would never be able to tell the difference between the new V3 rep bracelet and a gen Pro2. They are almost identical. I compared two gen Pro2s with a V3 rep Pro2. There were more differences between the two gen bracelets than there were between either of them and the rep. The biggest difference is that the quality and finish of the link screws on the rep is not as good as the gen (obviously). That said, the rep screws are more than satisfactory. Note that I'm not referred to the old rep bracelet that came on the V2 SAs. That bracelet was nowhere near as good as the V3. There - I just saved you $500. You're welcome. :)

Fourth, installing a gen bezel on a V3 rep is NOT something that just screws on. It's a nightmare to do it. It's a nightmare getting the rep bezel off, and a bigger nightmare trying to get the gen to fit on the rep. The only person I know who has ever done is successfully is Smidsy ,and he works in a watch repair shop. There is nothing wrong with the rep bezel either. Again, save your money.

The only real issue you will have with the V3 is that the movement is not the most reliable. I have no idea why. With this rep, it is best to NOT run the chrono. Some people will tell you this is true of any A7750, but the V3's chrono mechanism seems especially sensitive to mis-alignment when reset. I just wouldn't use it.

Last but not least, I would avoid V2 SAs entirely. Some people like that they're more water tight, and the bezel may be a bit better quality. However, the crown tube on the V2s is a disaster. EVERY one of them eventually get stripped and you can no longer screw down the crown. I've never seen one that didn't develop this problem eventually. I wouldn't even consider one.