When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Winders

jfreeman420

I am shopping for a watch winder box on ebay. I see there are many different models and prices. I want to buy one that will wind between six and eight watches.

Are there any difference in the winding mechanisms?

Are the more expensive ones better for the movement or do they all pretty much accomplish the same job?

Will keeping the watches wound help extend the life of the movements (especially chrono movements) ie;

reducing wear and tear while setting the watch?

Does anyone have a good source for these other than the bay?

Your help is appreciated.

Despite their outside appearances, the quality of watch winders does vary greatly. There are many suitable alternatives available. I recommend winders from Acetimer.com. These are not the lowest priced winders available, but they represent an excellent value, with features like:

• Solid construction
  • Silent operation
  • One watch per turntable (= one motor per watch)
  • "Fuzzy Logic" to individually control the rate and direction for each watch

Add to that the fact that Anthony at Acetimer is a knowledgeable and trustworthy seller.

I have purchased two Acetimers. I gave one to a friend, and have been using the other for about 1.5 years...it's still at quiet as the day I bought it (very important, since it's in the bedroom).

I also have a Eilux, which is a fantastic winder, but is more expensive.

FYI....

I decided to get one of these since my rep collection is getting larger than I ever planned (yes....I know I have a problem....and am considering seeking a 12 step program for rehab....)

I got this one for $92. Had it for several days and no problems with the finish or operation. This one is different than some because it has a control (silver [censored] between winding sections) that can shut one side off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHERRY-WOOD-DUAL-8-9-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

FYI....

I decided to get one of these since my rep collection is getting larger than I ever planned (yes....I know I have a problem....and am considering seeking a 12 step program for rehab....)

I got this one for $92. Had it for several days and no problems with the finish or operation. This one is different than some because it has a control (silver [censored] between winding sections) that can shut one side off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHERRY-WOOD-DUAL-8-9-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

That is the exact one I bought on ebay. It's graet. You'll like it.

You will have extra storage for about 10 more watches in the cabinet.

How long have you had it?

Cause i got a similiar one 4 watch winder - it lasted about six months, now only 1 of the turners turns. I find that also many of my watches don't do well with those 2 watch per turning mech. You have to angle them the right way to get the watch to wind.

Lesson Learned, don't go cheap. Go to acetimer or some of the other brands that are out there. You will eithe rspend it now or later :)

Good luck

and my box wasn't quiet either.

For most of my reps, i don't keep them on winders anyway - yeah its a pain to set the time each day, but i figure its more wear on the reps. - and a rep is still a rep. I usually just leave the date at whatever its on and set the time. Except for my breitling the date is so huge you have to set it.

I first purchased on of ebay very similar to the ones posted above. After about 6 months only one of the motors still worked.

I then went out and spent money on a Steinhausen that is made. It holds 16 watches that wind and room for another 5 in the front that don't wind.

It isnt that quiet but has been working well for about 4-6 months now.

I first purchased on of ebay very similar to the ones posted above. After about 6 months only one of the motors still worked.

I then went out and spent money on a Steinhausen that is made. It holds 16 watches that wind and room for another 5 in the front that don't wind.

It isnt that quiet but has been working well for about 4-6 months now.

I've the one shown above for at least 3 months, no problems, quiet. Knock on wood.

hi boys and girls,

I too, have that ebay winder, it will last less than 6 months, and eventually will die. all of my motors are dead, and now it is just a watch display case. I think you do get what you paid for, and I guess there is a reason why watch winders that lasts does cost a pretty penny right? Hope some of you guys will have better luck than some of us. If some of you are asking for my recommendation, not that you would, I would vote against it, as it will break down over time of use......