When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A few thoughts about 029M modification

ar0401

Guys, I couldn't help noticing that a lot of people have their 029M relumed.

Of course, this is a matter of perconal preference, but as for the color correctness... Well, a few months ago I bought the set of gen 29 hands from Vanni on eBay.

I initially intended to use them on my 063, but the color of the hands was greener than I expected, so I bought 029M from PureTime, and fitted 2893-2 movement to it along with the gen hands.

The color of the dial of the rep dial is the same as the color of the gen hands. Spot on.

That is why I think the color change is unnecessary.

IMHO the only thing to do is to source old cartel GMT hand, and make it greener to match the dial lume.

The point is that the 029M rep GMT hand has incorrecly shaped arrow triangle, and old cartel 063/029 GMT hand is very close in shape/size to the gen.

Here are some pics.

http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/...erg/PAM%2029M/

(#3 on one of them is old DSN GMT hand, #1-gen, #2-cartel)

The fitting of the 2893-2 was not too hard, provided I used the movement from 029B I built a while ago.

Some small distance between the dial and movement ring s/b provided to compensate for different

movement thickness, it doesn't cause the datewheel look recessed. Higher 24h wheel and hour wheel/cannon pinion

for the 2893-2 also should be sourced. I don't know to which extent it is a proble now. A few years ago I got

them from Jules Borel.

I totally agree with the lume color. This pic is from the launch of the 029m. I first believed that only the prototype had greenish lume, but I have seen many other pics which show the same greenish lume.

Interesting about the GMT hand. That is something that I would have never caught.

great post, thanks for sharing!

post-4085-0-11351200-1330437106.jpg