When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trusty's PO - A long but fast journey (and a surprise...)

kramerica2

My PO from trusty arrived, best buying experience and fastest delivery I ever had in the business.

All times are my local times.

Feb. 18 (Saturday) - QC pics approved

Feb. 21 11:20 AM - Picked up from Guangzhou, China

Feb. 22 9:51 AM - Arrived at Alamaty, Kazahstan

Feb. 22 1:29 PM - Arrived at Koeln, Germany

Feb. 23 4:30 AM - Arrived at Athens, Greece

Feb. 23 7:11 AM - Arrived at Tel Aviv, Israel

Feb. 23 8:07 AM - Cleared customs

Feb. 23 1:05 PM (Thursday) - Delivered!

I believe that if QC pics were approved on a weekday, the process would have been even faster, but who can complain on such a smooth transaction?

Let me start by saying that the watch is great. I'm still not referring to how well does it replicate its gen counter watch, but judging the rep as a watch.

Its not new to you guys I'm sure, but it really is a top class watch. The overall feeling and quality of the watch by its own, is amazing. It's funny, when you look at gen watches for that price, you could never get that case material and quality, coupled with such a movement, sapphire crystal, AR treatment and even the basic lume for that price. So, even when judging the watch as a watch, it really is a great value for the price.

That's really nice, but in the RWIS circles (Rep Watch Idiot Savant), we're not only interested about the watch itself, but how closely does it replicate the gen. While "gen-only" people, would mock and disrespect rep collectors, the truth is that for the most part we actually know a lot more about watches in general and luxury gens in particular then them. I would even say that we can appreciate and respect some gens that deserve it more than anybody that just buys them.

So, as expected in a rep forum, I should also elaborate on the quality of the replication. Since my review isn't the first (or even fifth) review, and I can guarantee that there are much better ones, I'd like to approach that subject by deciding if for me it's a super rep.

Obviously, that's not a scientific definition. Each and his own opinion about what super actually means, but, for me it means that in real life situations, without a gen next to it, no one could ever call it out. Bearing that in mind I'll try to tackle each major problematic part.

rep on left, gen on right: (gen pic from Omega's website, don't pay attention to color differences):

P1420982-2.jpguntitled-1.jpg

1) Pearl: The pearl is good, but not perfect. Its location is quite good, but it's a tad too big, and closer to the triangle than it should be. At real life situations, without close inspections with a gen next to it, no way to call this out.

2) He valve is a tad bigger than it should be. The pics are not the same proportions, so it seems worse than it actually is. Again, no way of telling without a very close look with a gen next to the watch.

3) Omega logo: Very good, but not perfect. It's a bit higher than the gen. Even at close range with a gen nearby, it would be very hard to tell. But it's there nevertheless.

4) Lume: I must admit, I'm on the fence here. The rep has, well, a standard rep lume. The gen lume is much much better. Could someone tell in real life situations without a close look and a gen next to it? I can't give a definite answer for that.

5) Minor stuff: There are some other flaws that are so minor that I won't even mention them. Dial texture, numbers, caseback, etc... Those are impossible to call out, at any plausible real life situation.

So, is it a super rep? Tough call. Without the lume flaw - no doubt. Now, you decide if the lume is a problem for you or not. I chose to buy and wear the watch despite that. I guess that for me, there is 99.99% chance that no one would ever notice that.

Some pics I took (not the best I'm afraid), surprise teaser pic at the end:

d960ec13.jpg

ef2944cb.jpg

e510c9ee.jpg

10f92dd9.jpg

and as promised, a teaser pic (I believe that should be easy for some people to recognize):

79e9284c.jpg