When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rate my case re-shape

atomic_doug

Hi All,

My main project, a Panerai 5218-201/A continues...I have re-shaped the case and drilled out the lugs.

(I apologize in advance for the pictures, I didn't realize how much filth would show up under the camera lens.)

The shoulders were sanded down and polished and the edges of the case were also rounded-off and polished. On the non-crown side in particular, one can draw a continuous arc up the lugs and along the upper edge of the case. The rehaut is also mirror polished, but doesn't appear to show up very well in the pictures.

The crown guard was heavily worked-over as well. The pin was worked over to look slightly countersunk, the lever was a mess when I got it, and the crown guard body was cleaned-up as well along its edges and to meet the case better.

I apologize for the placeholder dial and hands.

All the work was done manually.

The case is an old PAM111 rep case from years ago, the crystal, crown guard and crown are DSN newborn.

The movement is a Swiss Unitas low-beat as per gen.

Now all's I need is a blasted FGD dial and hands set, which I can't seem to find to save my life! :frusty:

Other than that, please let me know what you guys think is good, and what needs improvement.

Thanks!

post-41378-0-50369600-1334868914.jpg

post-41378-0-75446400-1334868916.jpg

post-41378-0-15308400-1334868918.jpg

post-41378-0-77354500-1334868919.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not bad result at all! Congrats :)

However that appears to be a h-fact case with slightly slanted and thinner lug profile? See if you could find a Noob 111J/M/N series case for a pre-V, especially 111 J-series as it comes with the 'chunkiest' lugs that are closest for a pre-V project.

JBetts, it's really not as hard as it looks. It does take a while, though.

I only used a Dremel for the lug holes, holding the case in a vise and using the existing holes as a guide for the bit.

For the reshape, I used a metal file, some 200, 400 and 1500 grit sandpaper, and then polishing compound.

I popped the bezel off with a plastic knife.

For the rehaut, I only used the sandpaper in a swirling motion to get rid of the brushing, then the polishing compound. Test fit a spare dial to check for the mirror reflection.

For the case edges, I filed off some metal, checked the shape, filed some more, checked some more, etc, etc, etc. The file takes off so little metal at a time it's not as big of a risk as it sounds. Sure, if you're taking metal off with a Dremel you can foul a case up quickly, but I worked by hand.

Reshaping the case corners and lugs to flow into one another took a little longer, since there was more metal to remove.

I'd say it was fun, but it totally wasn't: it was boring and took a long while. The end result was pretty good, though, for a first-timer.

Edited by atomic_doug