When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building A Cheap 5517 Milsub - Will This Work?

shadeone

Greetings folks! Long time lurker, first time poster! Ive been toying with the idea of getting a milsub or some time now and almost bit the bullet on one of the Trevor 5517s a while ago:

http://v.yupoo.com/p...albums/2235661/

After seeing a few threads here and RWI, I decided that there were a few things that I didnt like about it and decided that I wanted to build my own in an "homage" style instead of a replica. I know you guys are fanatics here about replicating original watches and getting every last mm correct on dials and stuff but Im saving that kinda stuff for some of my later collection (and will probably do a real ETA milsub with proper markings etc). For now, I want a sterile homage to my favorite watch of all time to just use as a beater....

First off, Im waiting for an email back from Trevor regarding if I can get just the case alone as it has the welded bars on the lugs that I desire so much.

I was wondering if anyone knows the diameter of the dial used in the Trevor milsubs? I found the sterile dial I want to use from rafflestime on ebay. Dial comes in at 29.2mm

$(KGrHqZHJBQE8+mGvRSDBPRREVWO(Q~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007p

http://www.ebay.com....=item256a8d0ea9

Along with the proper color matched hands:

$(KGrHqRHJBYE9uOgEh8SBPfEke,eSQ~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

http://www.ebay.com....=item256f1d3870

I had heard that the Trevor milsub takes gen crystals and bezel inserts. The true 5517 used a Tropic 19 and I seem to have found a cheap acrylic replcaement version here:

$(KGrHqJHJB!E8e782CmdBPOJo4QTeQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43ad4d573d

This should fit properly right?

The bezel insert on the Trevor 5517 has too many minute hashes around the bezel so I want to replace it with the one from Wholesaleoutlet:

bd39_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c14dfa2d

I have read that these are a direct replacement and work just fine.

Lastly, if I get just the case from Trevor, I am going to need a movement, which I would like to use an Asian 2813 for its bang for the buck (and correct me if I am wrong but its the movement that his watch comes with in the first place) and the parts I have listed above are all for it. Where do I find one of these? There are a few listed on ebay around the $40 range but there seem to be little dfferences in all of them. How do I know which one is right?

Also, I am not a watchmaker and the only thing I have ever done to a watch is to switch bands... Is there a go-to guy around here where I could send all this stuff to in order to get it all assembled? Should I check with some of the Seiko modder guys like NEwatchworks, motorcity, internationalwatchworks, etc? Some of the prices on those sites would add up pretty fast to probably over the cost of all my assembled components here! I live in Minneapolis, MN and all of the local watch fixeries and shops either have stupid mall teens that I wouldnt trust a $5 watch with, or else there are insanely high end places like the typical rolex dealers and jewelry stores...

Thanks in advance for all of the help I anticipate will surely be posted here! You guys look like the most knowledgeable bunch of replica watch freaks Ive seen on the net!

Jamie

Minneapolis, MN

No idea what size dial trevor's case uses, but the gen dial and most reps like Josh's in the series 5512/13/17 use aprox 26mm dial.

I'm just gonna guess the trevor is similar and uses a 26mm too. Best of luck with your project :)

It uses a 29mm dial. I have a 21J one that I never used. It has the sword hands and the dial and bezel you want will work on it. It has a decent cryatal, but a gen will work.

I have 2 others that I played with, and never did any thing to this one but take the bezel off to put a correct one on.

If you are gentle, you can take the Rolex printing off the current dial. use testor's flat black paint to touch up where it was then spray the whole thing with matt clear paint..

Edited by lloyd

Thanks for the response!

What is the best way to get writing off of a dial? Like a dental pic and scrape gently or something?

I got the Admiralty Gray NATO strap for the watch already! Going to order the watch and parts this week sometime!

As mentioned in the original post, is there someone on the boards here who could assemble everything for me for a small fee?

Thanks again guys!

Jamie

Thanks for the response!

What is the best way to get writing off of a dial? Like a dental pic and scrape gently or something?

I got the Admiralty Gray NATO strap for the watch already! Going to order the watch and parts this week sometime!

As mentioned in the original post, is there someone on the boards here who could assemble everything for me for a small fee?

Thanks again guys!

Jamie

Let us know how it works out. As I mentioned gen 5512/5513/5514/5517 dials are around 26mm. Several reps of these watches like josh/andrew/MBW's are gen sized and accept 26mm dials and gen crystals.

The poster Lloyd says the trevor watch uses a 29mm dial, and then states it will take a gen crystal. That makes no sense to me.

yeah that confuses me slightly too...

trevor got back to me and says he does not know the diameter of the dial...

lloyd, can you be absolutely positive of the 29mm dial? Do you have calipers available? I will paypal you a couple bucks if you can post a definitive picture of the dial being measured! ;)

I contacted motorcity watch works and they will do the assembly of the watch for me for a really decent price, but I want to make sure it will work before I spend money on shipping. Either that or I will have MCWW check the dial on the Trevor watch first before any other mods are done in order to save from getting too far into the project and then realizing something wont work and therefore costing me the money for the already completed steps :)

Jamie

Edited by shadeone

The dial opening is 26mm, so it can use a gen crystal. His dial is 26.5mm, but the dial seat is cut at 29.2mm diameter. I just took another one I had apart to measure the dial. I had measured the seat on another case of his I had when I posted the 29mm dial. The 29.2mm seat threw me off.

Edited by lloyd

Ok, unless they have changed the specs which can happen at any time. It will take any dial between 26.5mm and 29mm. I just put one of each in. As long as the 26mm dial opening looks good with that dial, It will work.

Want me to take some pictures of the case tomorrow? If you want I can see about taking the crown and Rolex name off the dial. If it looks good to youi, I will put it on the new watch, Trevor 5517, I just took apart and sell it cheap. It will have an asian 21J and no bezel ring. I will even put on a sterile caseback if you want.

Edited by lloyd

awesome, thanks for all the info! Yeah, pictures of the different dials in the case and stuff would be GREAT!

I will try to take pictures of everything tomorrow. As I said, if you like it you can have it cheap. I won't even charge for putting it back together the way you want.

im definitely interested! sterile caseback = yes please! by no bezel ring, do you mean the insert or the scalloped outer part? Im replacing the insert with teh one with the right amout of minute markers, but i might need the outer part :)

also, if the crown and logo come off the dial good, can you take the word "submariner" off too? Its a trademarked name and this is just going to be my sterile homage watch, im saving the trademarked / official stuff for when I get farther into this replica world and get into aging dials with tea and ovens ;) I still want the circle T on there though!

also, considering the dial seat is at 29.2mm, the first dial i posted will work AND i just noticed something... the fact that the viewable portion is only at 26mm, the minute markers on the sterile dial will actually extend to underneath the rehaut like on the gen 5517. There is a little 3mm border around the outside... take a look at the sterile dial:

$(KGrHqZHJBQE8+mGvRSDBPRREVWO(Q~~60_1.JPG

versus the real deal with the rehaut covering the outer border:

Rolex5517terug12.jpg

so anyone wanting to do this project, it will work!

Jamie

Edited by shadeone

DSC02634-1.jpgDSC02632-1.jpgDSC02630-1.jpgDSC02629-1.jpgDSC02627-1.jpg

I do not have a great macro setup. This is what the homage looks like. Let me know if you would like it. I put the original bezel insert back on. It came with this one instead of the 60 tick one. I moved on to other things like gen watches and custom designs and just left it in a drawer.

Edited by lloyd