When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

replica deployant vs gen deployant, also gen cg vs rep cg... Options

Thor

the deployant on my 196 was a little sticky in the push button. how much more "smoother" is the gen? is it worth the price difference? i ask this because im gonna buy a gen pam alligator strap and mount the clasp to it. so should i just get a rep clasp or keep it consistent and get a gen clasp? the rep is about 20usd while the gen is abour 220usd.

also what about thoughts on oem cg's vs rep cg's. how much better are oem cg's and how much do they cost? this applies to the 196 and the 127. thanks!

THe push buttons on the gen are sprung loaded wheras the rep's buttons flop loosely when the clasp is open. The rep clasp is not quite as well finished and I would suggest buying the real one if you are going to use the watch regularly. It is better finished around he edges too. I bought a genuine polished clasp from my local dealer a while ago and do not regret it. :rolleyes:

You're in luck w/ the crown guards since you're considering the 127 and the 196, both of which have decent guards in their latest iterations, floppy levers notwithstanding. Get the "REG TM" version of the 127. The 111 and other 44mm non-pusher-equipped guards lack in fit, finish, and appearance IMO. The 111H guards are a completely missed opportunity on the part of the makers. They redid the cases and crowns but most models just have brushed A-F series guards and the latest versions' guards are only part of the way there.

I think the crownal area (as my dad would say) of PAMs are the intentional flaws....

Gen deployants are better finished but not $200 better finished. I own a couple of gen deployants (polished , of course) and a whole lot of reps. The only one that truly broke was the gen - the threads on the little screw-in piece stripped. Go figure. By the way, if you want a polished deployant simply pull out the Cape Cod and rub away. It came out great. :smile:

I have to agree. I had bought a bunch of genuine deployants at a good price hoping to make a few $'s and got blown away by the flood of rep's that came onto the market. I decided to buy one just to check out how good they were and they are very very good. In fact, I can't see any reason to own a genuine if you base your purchase on cost.