When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Submariner - Difference between perfect v ultimate versions

Thought id ask the rolex experts on here.

Thinking of getting the rolex submariner (damn rwg, why did you get my addicted to this hobby haha :)). But I did not imagine that there would be so many different versions, ranging from $300-500.

Now theres the usual version with the Asian movement, and i understand thats the cheapest for reasons of imperfection. However, my question lies with the 'perfect' and the 'ultimate' version.

What is the difference between the two and is it really worth the additional $90 between the two? Sorry for a newbie question.

http://www.trustytim...roducts_id=1234

http://www.trustytim...products_id=796

Kind of a pointless question to ask on here as well (considering im asking the rolex thread), but for those who have owned the Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chrono (Asian Mvt) and the Rolex submariner (ultimate or perfect) which one is the 'better' watch in terms of its quality/make/style?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Unfortunately the two watches you dug up from the depths of time are ancient. Look at the bottom of the pages you linked .. 2006 and 2007 models. They cost so much because you are paying the dealer for a complete service on top of the price of the watch. Im glad you asked your questions because paying a dealer for service is like paying a car salesman to spray new car smell for an extra $200.

The fair price for a good N-Factory Submariner replica is between $49 and $190 depending on the movement inside the watch. I know that the big dealers charge a lot more, but that's between them and their customers. Some people just don't realize how cheap it is to make a replica watch and pay $300 for a $190 watch without even thinking.

Here is a link to trusted dealer "TrevorTime" and his N-Factory Submariner with Asian ETA movement inside, as you asked for. Enjoy.

http://www.rwg.cc/to...an-eta-2836-118 note that this is a half year old posting

and more current prices

http://v.yupoo.com/photos/trevorwatch/albums/2235544/

Welcome aboard.

I'm not expert but thought I'd offer my 2 sense....:)

As Jkay has said, there's many to chose from in your price range. (and that varies from dealer to member, etc.)

The Noobs are great budgets reps and many will confirm that.

I noticed in your opening post your mention of Asian mvts. being the cheaper versions due to inacurracies.

Don't reason that a cheaper cloned mvt version is also more inacurrate in regards to appearance.

Many versions are offered with an option to chose your mvt. but everything about the overall watch remains the same...ie: same dial, bedzel, bracelet etc.

There's nothing at all bad about the Asian clone mvts.

In fact they're the wisest choice as there's no guarantee you'll get a genuine swiss eta and it's likely you'll pay that eta price and get a clone anyway.

Look around, have some fun searching and see what's out there.

(grab your wallet when venturing into the waters of Reps Submariners...the more you see and learn, the more acurrate you'll start wanting to go.)

And then it's Franken time.:)

Noobs are great.

I also recommend looking into the BK TW Submariner and perhaps the TC 16610 ( M-series with the eta 2678 is an acurrate Sub in your 300-500 range.

I'm partial to the BK's and while they're a bit more (650.00 or so) they're worth every penny and worth the wait.

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/139866-product-offering-tw-16610-sub/

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/143821-fs-tc-submariner-parts-conus/

The fair price for a good N-Factory Submariner replica is between $49 and $190 depending on the movement inside the watch. I know that the big dealers charge a lot more, but that's between them and their customers. Some people just don't realize how cheap it is to make a replica watch and pay $300 for a $190 watch without even thinking.

Here is a link to trusted dealer "TrevorTime" and his N-Factory Submariner with Asian ETA movement inside, as you asked for. Enjoy.

http://www.rwg.cc/to...an-eta-2836-118 note that this is a half year old posting

Hi JKay, thanks for the reply. Just wanted to know as well, the link that you attached with "Trevor Time", aside from the Asian ETA, appearance-wise is this the most accurate model?

I've read around that there are three versions lying around, v2 being the most accurate (or was it v3)? Sorry to ask you these questions, but just perplexed that Trevor has it as $118, and Trustytime are selling it for $500+ (unless the swiss eta movement is actually worth $400?), if the outer shell is the same?

Keep in mind, im happy with a asian movement, just want the exterior to be one of the more accurate models.

Also, Thanks correctime, dont get me started on frankens haha - this hobby is expensive as is :), tempted but then i look at the cost of parts. a dial costs as much as the rep watch itself haha.

The watches you are asking about from Trusty probably do not exist anymore. They simply didnt update their web pages to get rid of them. That's common in the rep world. When you made your order, they would have told you they are out of stock, and to choose another model.

Yes, the N-Factory submariner is the best factory made out-of-the-box version. Modders like BK use some N-Factory models as their base for their much more expensive modded/frankened versions.

Someone told you about V2, V3 etc ... those models have not been available for two years, altho some people have no problem confusing newbies with talk about them. The factory making the WM9 v2, v3 Submariners vanished without a trace two years ago. You can't get them unless you want to badger a current owner into selling his.

About prices ... sometimes big dealers will charge $100 more for a watch over what a small dealer charges. They are free to charge whatever they like .. it's a free world market. It's the consumer's job to decide who they wish to buy from.

A genuine Swiss ETA movement retails for about $160. Of course factories will buy in bulk and pay much less than that. The least expensive reliable Chinese movement is an A21j and we're looking at $17 retail for that engine.

You also have to compare apples to apples. You ask me why Trevor sells a sub for 128 and Trusty for $500 .. again, that's a 6 year old model, which probably is no longer available. I just tool another look at that $500 Sub, and I see that it says in the description that not only is it "Serviced" but it's had the case and bracelet modded as well. Take those claims with a grain of salt.

The concurrent model from Trusty is $300 with Swiss ETA and $200 from Trevor. So that is more equitable.

Like I said, big dealers with big web sites will often charge bigger dollars.

The watches you are asking about from Trusty probably do not exist anymore. They simply didnt update their web pages to get rid of them. That's common in the rep world. When you made your order, they would have told you they are out of stock, and to choose another model.

Yes, the N-Factory submariner is the best factory made out-of-the-box version. Modders like BK use some N-Factory models as their base for their much more expensive modded/frankened versions.

Someone told you about V2, V3 etc ... those models have not been available for two years, altho some people have no problem confusing newbies with talk about them. The factory making the WM9 v2, v3 Submariners vanished without a trace two years ago. You can't get them unless you want to badger a current owner into selling his.

About prices ... sometimes big dealers will charge $100 more for a watch over what a small dealer charges. They are free to charge whatever they like .. it's a free world market. It's the consumer's job to decide who they wish to buy from.

A genuine Swiss ETA movement retails for about $160. Of course factories will buy in bulk and pay much less than that. The least expensive reliable Chinese movement is an A21j and we're looking at $17 retail for that engine.

Well Trevor definitely has my business if hes cheaper. One thing though, does he ever answer his emails? emailed him about it over 12 hrs ago, but no reply on his end.

Is he still a trusted dealer around? heard he rarely answers emails anymore (so im not too sure i would want to hand over $150 just like that).

Someone posted recently that they had received a watch from Trevor and his latest post to his own area here on the board is fairly recent. And yes, you can go to his area here on the board and see he's a dealer here.

If you are in the USA please remember that China is 12 hours out of sync with you ... ok?

All you really have to do is look around the dealer web stores for their newest version of the non-ceramic Submariner with Asian ETA .. you don't have to buy from Trevor at all. It was just an example.

PureTime:

http://puretime.co/product/submariner-16610-black/