When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Changing Dial Lume" question

Hi all,

haven't done any new projects since the "SpaceDweller II" project but now I'm eager to try something! I humbly ask for your knowledge regarding a dial that changes when it becomes dark. It's a military watch project. The lume job would be done professionally.

post-2870-0-78608600-1336949198.png

Pic 1: Dial unlumed. Pic 2: Dial in daylight. Pic 3: Dial in the dark

The dial is basically stick indexes with vintage-tritium style SL that glows green in the dark.

Now please not the 12 o clock indexes - there are three.

The middle one is painted with vintage tritium style PAINT with no glow.

The left and right 12oclock indexes are painted with BLACK lume that goes green.

Will this give the effect that when it suddenly goes dark, the watch will go from having one center index stick at 12, to two?

The idea being - - that in the dark you need a 12 o clock indicator, but in daylight you'll know where 12 is. Gimmicky - yes, but I'd like to try it out.

I guess my CHIEF CONCERN is that the black lume won't be powerful enough and that uneven index lume will look cheap. Reduce lume power in the vintage tritium indexes to match phantom indexes perhaps?

Thanks for any insights, hints or tips - especially from those of us who have experience with SL luming and phantom lume!

Love to all,

MG

Edit: Computer believes lume is spelled lump..

Edited by mastergod

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

haven't done any new projects since the "SpaceDweller II" project but now I'm eager to try something! I humbly ask for your knowledge regarding a dial that changes when it becomes dark. It's a military watch project. The lume job would be done professionally.

post-2870-0-78608600-1336949198.png

Pic 1: Dial unlumed. Pic 2: Dial in daylight. Pic 3: Dial in the dark

The dial is basically stick indexes with vintage-tritium style SL that glows green in the dark.

Now please not the 12 o clock indexes - there are three.

The middle one is painted with vintage tritium style PAINT with no glow.

The left and right 12oclock indexes are painted with BLACK lume that goes green.

Will this give the effect that when it suddenly goes dark, the watch will go from having one center index stick at 12, to two?

The idea being - - that in the dark you need a 12 o clock indicator, but in daylight you'll know where 12 is. Gimmicky - yes, but I'd like to try it out.

I guess my CHIEF CONCERN is that the black lume won't be powerful enough and that uneven index lume will look cheap. Reduce lume power in the vintage tritium indexes to match phantom indexes perhaps?

i have black lume that goes green in the dark and it will never last very long

it was never meant to last very long in the first place

Thanks for any insights, hints or tips - especially from those of us who have experience with SL luming and phantom lume!

Love to all,

MG

Edit: Computer believes lume is spelled lump..