When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVD vs DLC Panerai Luminor

kfmcmahon

Hello,

Yet another "best of" question...I am looking for a PVD/DLC Luminor PAM and am thinking of the 026 from Angus or Josh. Any other "black" watch recommendations (not looking at radiomir).

How much difference in the PVD vs DLC coatings in terms of color (pencil lead vs black) and scratch resistance is there?

I have a GEN B & R heritage 01-92 which is PVD but looks matte black to me...is that how the PAM's are?

Thanks,

Kevin

PVD is a method of getting the color onto the watch, like brushing or spraying. It is not in of itself a finish or color. Lots of different black substances can be applied by PVD, some will look shiny, some matte, some black, some grey.

DLC will vary dependent on the finish of the metal underneath, apply over a high polish steel and it will have a sheen, apply it over a fine media blasted surface, it will appear matte.

the 026 is a good rep, I've had mine for in regular rotation, there's some wear on the underside of the lugs, but no scratches or wear yet. The v2 has a better dial and a correct matte finish CG pin.

PVD is a method of getting the color onto the watch, like brushing or spraying. It is not in of itself a finish or color. Lots of different black substances can be applied by PVD, some will look shiny, some matte, some black, some grey.

DLC will vary dependent on the finish of the metal underneath, apply over a high polish steel and it will have a sheen, apply it over a fine media blasted surface, it will appear matte.

the 026 is a good rep, I've had mine for in regular rotation, there's some wear on the underside of the lugs, but no scratches or wear yet. The v2 has a better dial and a correct matte finish CG pin.

thanks!