When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone ever modded a Day Date - modded, not Franken!

danielv2000

Ive got a small 36mm Day Date for listed for sale. Bought it for the g-friend but she finds it too blingy. Hey, she asked for the diamond dial!

If it doesn't sell, I'm thinking of maybe keeping it m swapping the dial for something different. Maybe a nice leather strap. Ever since i stumbled upon Ubi's gorgeous DD, I have always thought of building a Franken but I've got too many projects right now. This could satisfy me for awhile.

Any ideas? Has anyone fit a gen dial in there?

Also, I'm thinking of a French or German day date wheel? Where can i find one of those?

Cheers

I have three DDs' that have a genuine dial, each watch came from a different source (Josh, Trevor, and used from another member). The one from Josh and the one from Trevor both had genuine dials drop right in, both the day and date windows align perfectly and look great, both used the more modern flat dial. The used one I made into a vintage using an older pie pan dial, the day and date windows did not align and I had to make my own day and date wheels. So, I would say that as long as it is a rep of the older DD (not the newer, larger DD-II), and you use a flat genuine dial, it should work. One thing though, if you try to use a dial with stick markers, you will find that the hands will not clear the taller markers on the gen dial and you will have to either a) change the hour wheel and pinions to taller versions, or B) slightly bend up on the minute and second hands (like I did). See picture below of my vintage using an older pie pan dial;

DD1.jpg

DD2.jpg

Good Luck!

Cheers B)

Edited by southcoast68

Thanks. It is the older DayDate model and not the DD II version. I'm having a hard time settling on a dial. I'm thinking a nice clean white or silver with no numerals on it.

Any ideas on day wheels? Anyone here able to rep a non-English version?