When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage style Marina 47mm - what model?

Smab

Any WIS can identify this model:

http://www.1-pc8838.com/pnv47105a-vintage-marina-ssle-style-6497-p-11697.html

I just ordered it, together with a BlackSeal PAM380N ceramic.

It is not very expencive, and because I wanted a 1950 case, and this was the closest to the Fiddy, which are currently out of stock. It says brushed case, but the pictures shows it is polished (as the 359). I just love the polished 1950 cases B)

Looks like the new PAM422, any ideas?

(Reference http://www.paneraisource.com/watch_details/Historic_308.html )

Noted some cool stuff: Even the print on the dial has lume :) .

Is this a pure fantasy model? It has the newest style CG with spring roller assembly, AR sapphire and highbeat manual wind.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. Finally some pictures, and I think the mystery is solved. Seems this is a fantasy model, taking some elements from the PAM372, some elements from the PAM422 and making it look like a Fiddy-style model with vintage lume, vintage gold hands and polished case. The case is even engraved between the lugs like the PAM372, it even says "PAM00372" between the upper lugs and OP 6835 on the lower lugs, even the PAM372 has no second hand.

Movement looks like the one in the Fiddy, nothing like the movements in the PAM372 or PAM422, which are in-house Panerai movements. Movement even has a swan neck regulator, and it is highbeat 21600 (as stated on the dealers site, as well I can tell from the QC-pic with the timegrapher).

Even if the info on the dealers site says "Sapphire AR coated", I think it is actually plexi! Looks really cool, and there is much less reflections than one could expect from a sapphire, even an AR coated (single) one. Maybe AR coated, but I still think plexi. And it has some strange duplex reflexions, something I have never seen on a sapphire, at least not so obvious. As you can see from my somewhat lousy pictures, the magnifying glass effect is very much apparent.

I really like the piece, even though it is not an actual GEN model that looks like this. Only downside is, the CG is a little too hard to pull out/push in. Any tip on how to improve? Also it is not so nicely finished as the CG on the 1950 models (312 etc).

+ are great sapphire (plexi), great looking polished case and see-through caseback (very impressive at first glimpt, but perhaps not totally accurate to a GEN movement), great looking dial and hands (patina lume, Tritium-style, and oversized gold hands). I even like the modern CG (with spring roller assembly) over the more old-fashion type on the Fiddy. Also Fiddy is brushed case, and has not this patina lume, that looks just awesome.

- are it is a fantasy model, CG not so good finished, but can perhaps be tweaked, plexi is bound to get some scrathes, and not easily polished without scratching the polished bezel. But, it should perhaps show some wear and tear, it is after all named "Vintage Marina".

My wet dream would be a Fiddy, with patina lume, polished case, modern style CG and true sapphire crystal, but maybe the plexi will grow on me after all. It has much less distortions than the Fiddy sapphire from the latest release and dial appears much clearer. Compared to the much less curved sapphire on my 359 (which states has AR, but very poor indead), the 359 is like a mirror and dial view is very distorted. I've put in a picture of my 359 for comparison.

359 sapphire is very foggy and unclear, compared to the Vintage PAM 372/422/127 multibreed fantasy model.

Here is:

Foto2703.jpgFoto2702.jpgFoto2701.jpgFoto2700.jpgFoto2704.jpgFoto2371.jpg