When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN's "New born" 027 case - some impressions

z3k0

I'm not sure if DSN officially released new born 027, but since I noticed new case on his Photobucket, I shoot him an email, and asked when will new case be available. He offered me "upgrade" - to send him my watch and he will upgrade it with new parts. I rejected that, and we agreed on me sending him old parts, and when he receives parts and my payment, he'll send me new parts. Well, some two months after sending my parts, and month after making payment I received my package :)

Of course, I sit at my desk straight away, and started assembling my "new born" watch. Unfortunately, as time went by, my enthusiasm started to wain :( So, to cut to the point here are my thoughts about this new set of parts:

GOOD:

- new crown and tube, really great job done, absolutely no need to replace it

- visually better looking lugs, not so short and stubby any more

- hmm, can't remember anything else

BAD:

- lugs still can't accept thick straps (and I don't mean super-thick here), for example rubber straps (old style) from latest H and noob offerings - pretty much 1:1 dimensions, can't possibly be mounted with tubes, not even squeezed in

- there is no strap lip (I'm not sure is this correct or not, but definitely does not help with previous problem)

- DW has thicker font OK, but it seems to me it was just old font printed two times with small offset ... looks like poorly focused picture

- CG - biggest flop of all: odd shape (see pics), strange screws used, strange position of CG holes, lever tip (crown facing) looks like it was done by chain saw

- related to previous - aftermarket CGs (like Sead A-F) CAN'T be used because CG holes have completely sc*ewed up position (like on previous case), and CG does not fit case profile (unlike previous 027 case that accepted Seads CG nicely)

- quality of case is poor in comparison to latest PAM offering, screws feel very coarse, and like thread is gonna strip after 5 operations, movement holder is poorly machined etc.

All in all, I would say huge disappointment, at least for me, but here are some pictures, so you can see what am I talking about:

_MG_1766.jpg

_MG_1768.jpg

_MG_1785.jpg

_MG_1786.jpg

_MG_1787.jpg

_MG_1788.jpg

_MG_1792.jpg

_MG_1794.jpg

_MG_1798.jpg

regards