When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how do the Sub on TT compare to a TC?

buffedupboy

The better "out of the box" reps (such as those on Trusty) are very nice watches, but no one who has been around a gen is ever going to mistake them for anything other than a nice rep. The TC watches are in a completely different league. TC isn't a dealer - rather he is an semi-amateur watch maker who buys the best rep parts he can find and assembles watches that are as close to a gen as he can make them. They use gen construction, and are designed to accept gen parts - so they are an ideal base for people who want to go the franken route. I would guess that a TC with a gen insert and crystal would be extremely hard for even an expert to tell from a gen without taking the back off.

Do you really think that anyone who has been around a gen could spot a noob rep as a copy? If I had not found this site, I would never be able to tell them apart, and even still it is not easy. I understand that the TC sub is a step up, but I do not think a decent rep from this site is so easy to spot.

I recently bought a BK DSSD, and while waiting for it tried on a few gens. The watch that arrived seems indistinguishable to me. Maybe the gen weighs more... I have since compared the rep and gen looking in shop windows, and the difference is not at all obvious.

Personally I would say 90% of wis wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a highend rep and a gen. It is people who buy highend reps that obsess about the all the small details anyways. It's an obsession after all, it's not normal behaviour....

Edited by buffedupboy

Do you really think that anyone who has been around a gen could spot a noob rep as a copy? If I had not found this site, I would never be able to tell them apart, and even still it is not easy. I understand that the TC sub is a step up, but I do not think a decent rep from this site is so easy to spot.

On your wrist, probably not - although most (not all) reps have a crappy pearl that is obvious from quite a difference if you know what to look for. However, if you handle the watch, most reps - even quite good ones. feel different to a gen. It is difficult to be more specific about what this is, I guess that it is build quality - a genuine Rolex does have a wonderfully smooth feel to it that reps generally don't have.

Of course, this is all for the geeks. The vast majority of people won't know or care.