When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Odd movement behavior

stevedrk

My Rolex 1680 is running on a Swiss ETA 2836-2. Lately, I noticed the movement has been stopping intermittently throughout the day. When this happened, I would hand wind it, it would start up, and then several hours later it would stop again. This happened everyday for the last week. I let the watch sit a few days and then decided to shake it a few times instead of hand wind to get it going. I'll be darned if it didn't run all day. Next day, same deal. Shook it and wore it no issues. What gives?

Could be a number of things but my guess is either the beat error is completely off or the movement is gummed up. Probably a combination of both. Heck maybe the main spring even broke and it isn't generating enough power reserve. Have it checked out by a local watchmaker.

(Slowly) Hand wind the watch 40 turns, set the time & place it (dial up) on a table for 32 hours. If the watch does not stop, the problem is that your normal movements are insufficient to keep the mainspring fully charged (wound). If the watch stops, it likely requires overhaul/service.

Thank you both for the responses. I have a new 2836-2 movement that I may have transplanted into the 1680. I've been wanting to have the silver datewheel installed and I guess this is as good excuse as any to have the DW and new movement installed.