When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beginner/Lite Version Pams?

A.Addict

Noob or Beginner/Lite  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Noob or Beginner?

• Noob 111n
    • Beginner/Lite version

I am thinking of buying my first Rep after lurking for a while. I want a Pam 111/112 or similar. I'm a little nervous about spending too much on my first buy and my only Reps in the past have been street purchased in Hong Kong and Thailand and have been $30's worth of junk that usually fell apart before returning home.

So I noticed that a few of the dealers have "Beginner" & "Lite" versions of the Panerai watches for roughly half the current popular versions of the 111n etc. Are these better than the tat I have bought from shady guys on the street in Mong Kok? I'm kinda torn between going for Noob 111n or one of the "beginner" models to see how I feel.

Any advise much apreciated.

Edited by A.Addict

I have Toros beginner 111m. It definitely holds it own with my more expensive PAM's, its definitely worth it. But be prepared it isn't the same quality of course, winding isn't as smooth, crown is too close to the case etc...but still I like it and wear it alot!

I, too, have one of Toros beginner 111s. Good but not brilliant lume - I would say 80% of the Noob's luminosity (because it gets bright after direct sunlight exposure but doesn't last more than an hour or so...), mine winds smoothly, has a very tight crown lever, good AR, about 30 hours PR on the low beat asian inside which takes only 30 winds from zero to hero), keeps time to within +40 seconds a day (unregulated - just as it arrived) and is worth every penny. Mine has not missed a beat in over 4 months. I say give it a shot. Not a lot of money to worry about, and these are fo sho better than the cheap-ar$ed versions you may be thinking of.

JMHO...

I would advise against going with a cheapie. You might like it in the beginning but once you realise that certain parts of it aren't that accurate/good quality you will want the noob version and will struggle to sell the cheapie. $100 dollars wasted when you can get the noob for around $220 from sead.

Edited by Craig88