When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC V4 Sun....Noob here, Is it worth it?

bpolo

Inserts are easy replacements. MOst guys who buy them already have a real Rolex and to replace an insert is as simple as dropping into an AD and asking them to do it. If your AD likes you, 20 mins. later and around $125 poorer you have a new insert.

Then normally these guys turn around and try and sell the old ones.

If the condition is perfect, why do these guys get them replaced? If it isn't perfect, then that wasn't what we were talking about. The discussion was about NEW inserts.

If this keeps up, youre gonna have to pry this watch from my cold, dead hands if you want it....Its now a full 2 days, going into my 3rd, with the TC, and, while I know we are looking for accuracy in terms of how it looks compared to a Gen, this watch is now running at an amazing +1 Second in 49 hours !!!!!!....SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER BABY!!! Ive never ever had a watch this accurate...I just hope and pray, it doesnt slow a few seconds after it breaks in....For a watch this accurate in time keeping, I guess Ill deal with the end links being a little off....Who knows maybe TC will guide me as to how to straighten them out, but I refuse to give this watch up!! Even for a Gen, and I mean that...!! Im an accuracy nut, always setting all of my watches against an Atomic Clock, and when thas not convenient, I use my phone...

bpolo...just wait till you get it regulated :)

I'm sure TC will take care of your sel problem.

Keep in mind he's crazy busy and popular right now. Until he came along recently the Wm9's had dried up and a really long wait for a Bk watch. People were selling their used BK's and Wm9's for crazy prices.

I'm amazed TC is as fast as he is right now. I ordered my bracelets and dials recently and had them in a week.

I am not sure that the bracelet is ever exactly flush with the lugs.. even on the gen. I feel like the gap between the links and lugs is the concern most often.

Thanks! I'm getting used to it already...No big deal..Thanks...I do wish he didnt shave the serial numbers off the space between the Lugs though..I like wearing it on a NATO, and its obvious that its filed down there because of the finish...I thought they only removed the #'s from rehaut..

Edited by bpolo

Ok everyone.. This is seriously incredible!!! 4 Days and this TC Sub with ETA Movement has only lost barely 1.. I repeat ONE Second!! Ive never experienced anything like it, with any automatic watch....COSC or not!!

There are some things Id like tweaked on the watch, such as the way the end links fit (a bit crooked), and the Bezel doesn't turn smoothly, It will turn for about 20 to 30 clicks, very smoothly, and then it seems to get stuck, or very hard to turn. I actually had to take the watch off of my wrist to turn it, so I wouldn't twist the whole watch case with it....I'm sure its a simple fix, Im just not going to play with it, as Im inexperienced....I'll just wait for TC to get back. I'm just hoping these are simple fixes, as I definitely wouldn't want a different watch altogether, as this one is keeping time so darn accurately.........Aesthetically, this watch is simply AMAZING, being a Rep...

Edited by bpolo

Are the endlnks loose? if so, you might not have the spring bars engaged on both sides. Give it a good wiggle back and forth to lock them in.

As for Gen inserts, NEVER pay more then $150 for a modern sub insert new. If you are you are being ripped off. You CAN find them in brand new condition, and 90%+ condition if you spend a few weeks looking. They come and go pretty fast but if you scan rolexforums.com, ebay, and WUS they pop up.

Reason? Inserts are easy replacements. MOst guys who buy them already have a real Rolex and to replace an insert is as simple as dropping into an AD and asking them to do it. If your AD likes you, 20 mins. later and around $125 poorer you have a new insert.

Then normally these guys turn around and try and sell the old ones.

Perhaps try tweeking the tips of the spring bars a bit....or while waiting for the improved TC Bracelet to hit the market, perhaps find and install a TW bracelet.

It may have the solid mid links (which I don't really mind at all) but it fits the TC "much" better...near perfect fit.

Congrats on it's arrival. They're an awesome rep 16610 Brother. :)

Edited by correctime

:notworthy: please please please sell me one for that price !!!

Get in line!! Were all searching....All I know is at Rolex, my buddy got his GMT serviced last week, and the GMT insert was a whopping $58...How much more could a Sub insert be? $75? $85? $95? I was offered a new one for $140 in the beginning of June, then I tried to purchase it a week later, and was told, that due to the Rolex price increase that happened on June 7th, it was now $190...35% increase in list prices?...That cant be...I always thought it was anywhere fro 6-12%...But then again, I hear people saying that if I pay more than $140, Im getting ripped off, yet I dont see them anywhere for less than $190 and up......

You "won't" see Brand New sealed genuine inserts for 140.00 or less and you're not likely to see them for under 200.00 very often...unless you happen to own a gen 16610 and can get in tight with a local AD....or know someone that does.

Company "R" is tightening it's leash on parts accounts...and they seem to be doing a damn good job of it so far. Prices are on the rise and it's likely to continue.,,especially on parts that are no longer being used on the new models...ie crystals, inserts, dials, perhaps bezel assemblies and 93150/93250 Bracelets and the likes. :(

My advise...if you're in need of a Brand New modern gen 16610 luminova insert and see one priced below 230.00 or so.......jump on it.

It's only going to get worse.

Ok everyone.. This is seriously incredible!!! 4 Days and this TC Sub with ETA Movement has only lost barely 1.. I repeat ONE Second!! Ive never experienced anything like it, with any automatic watch....COSC or not!!

There are some things Id like tweaked on the watch, such as the way the end links fit (a bit crooked), and the Bezel doesn't turn smoothly, It will turn for about 20 to 30 clicks, very smoothly, and then it seems to get stuck, or very hard to turn. I actually had to take the watch off of my wrist to turn it, so I wouldn't twist the whole watch case with it....I'm sure its a simple fix, Im just not going to play with it, as Im inexperienced....I'll just wait for TC to get back. I'm just hoping these are simple fixes, as I definitely wouldn't want a different watch altogether, as this one is keeping time so darn accurately.........Aesthetically, this watch is simply AMAZING, being a Rep...

When I told you, "wait till it's regulated" I was wrong, as TC regulates these himself. You should be good to go there :)

As for sel fit, wait and see what TC says. In your pics it looks like on the bottom sel, one side sits higher. I guess we will see how that works out. I prefer the TC braclet as it's designed to be able to use genuine 2mm springbars. Jmb has had to modify and drill my previous bracelets out for that.

Your bezel is hard to turn? If you had more experience with these I would tell you to pop it off and see if the spring is sitting wrong, but please don't as there are things that could go wrong for you with that plan. If you end up sending it back to TC just make sure you tell him you love that one. :)

Keep up with tracking TRF, VRF, ebay and the rep forums for an insert....sooner or later you will find a reasonable priced insert. Your very fortunate to have entered this hobby at a time when watches like these are available, not so long ago there were so many mods that had to be done to make a good watch...now they are close to perfect out of the box....and will continue to get even better.

• Like 1