When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Paul Newman Daytona with working sub seconds?

Chuckster

Hi andy, just made my first purchase from josh - classic sea dweller with Asian 2813 mov Amazed at the quality. Great value for money. Budget for Daytona between 200-300 us dollars. Is this wishful thInking for nice vintage Newman Daytona? Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks again Andy. I appreciate you taking the time to send on the link. I actually saw this watch on that site but noticed that the subdial at 6 o'clock is "Faux" and is fixed non working. Is there another newman daytona of this quality with similar movement with fully functional chrono and functional 6 subdial? Thanks again

Edited by Chuckster

You would then be looking at a DW with 7750, with or with out the rotor removed, spin master used to sell modded ones with all the little fixes done but then you are looking at the $600 plus mark, i think the DW standard ones if you can find one were about $400,

ask your self how oftern are you actualy going to time some thing into the hours?????

Thanks again andy. You make an interesting point about the subdial. The modified versions a bit out of my price range at the moment! Are the daytonas in your opinion decent quality or is it best to stay away from them? Is there another Rolex in the 300 dollar range at the moment that is great value? Have been checking out the date just and subs. So much variety out there! I know you are probably sick of this question but any info you could provide would be much appreciated!

too much to choose from, best is to lock your wallet away for a month and spend that time reading and learning and then your cash will be well spent

Reps are getting more expencive but the quality of the components it improving more than the price is increasing but we still have to live with the quality control issues but if you buy well you have less issues

Chuckster,

Your interest happens to be one the more difficult reps on a budget. If there were levels of reps, Daytona's would be "expert" level.

I don't want to discourage you from them, but as Andy mentioned, you are better served to wait a bit before you buy one.

The most accurate ones have to be built and are very very expensive. As far as subdials, there are no rep movements that are exact size as rolex.

This is why the compromise on the cheaper ones. I have been around reps awhile, have many fine watches....I found out I wasn't ready for a daytona yet. I do own a cheaper one.

There's just so much to learn and know. The good news is the info is all here at rwg :)

Hi woof! Thank you for the additional info. Spent some time last night doing a little more research and like you were saying the Daytona is very elite! I think I will explore other options and spend some time reviewing past posts. I have a genuine omega speedmaster professional cal 861 I believe. Love the watch but the Newman Daytona is my goal someday! Cheers