When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dome or Bubble Crystal on Panerai Base Model the "Mini Fiddy"

imajedi

I absolutely love the PAM 127 "Fiddy". The problem is that it's to big for my wrist. I don't really like the "Wall Clock" look. I want to try and custom make or build something with the same look or style but in a 44mm.

I was wondering if you could retro fit a 44mm dome crystal to one of the base model PAMs. Say the 390 or 351 for example. I know the 390 is not the best base model to use but I like the look of it with the tobacco dial and gold hands because my creation will absolutely have the Gunny 74 strap like the classic 127 (I love this strap and it's the only part of the build I am sure of). I was thinking of going with a 390 TI case and then adding a dome crystal. maybe eventually updating the CG for a 1950 style with the REG TM.

I'm open to other suggestions about a better base model. I did my own research and thought technically speaking the 351 would be good. It's a sandwhich dial like the 127 and comes with the gold hands to match the Gunny 74 strap. The 351 is a 1950 style case which is more correct and has the second hand next to 9 like the "fiddy." The problem of course is that the 351 has the 7750 movement in it which just ruins it for me as far as an open back Panerai goes. I really want to keep the open back as it's a part of the 127 I really love.

Thoughts/ideas on either adding the dome to a base model or which base model I should start with?

There are already Mini Fiddy watches available .. send Sead a PM .. he's a trusted dealer here, and can source them for you. One thing .. no sapphire crystals on this replica. Mineral glass.

Also, the normal "8 Days" PAM replica is a looks like a mini fiddy, but with working power reserve,

4ead7d431268f1a5df6ee19a03d6f64a.image.733x550.jpg

No, the difference is that sapphire can not be scratched by anything but a diamond. Glass crystals can be scratched. It's not "bad" ... Every common watch crystal out there is mineral. Seiko, Timex etc etc. Including your Casio Oceanus.