When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean comparison

Thor

Page 1:

Here's a little comparison, looking at the sizes of a DRSD, Neil's PO and Andrew's PO. Andrew's is on the leather strap and Neil's is on stainless. Notice the color difference of the bezels, the grained edge of the bezels and the magnification/domed qualities of the crystals.

Either way, both Planet Oceans are plenty big when you look at the sizes compared to another massive watch.

457-7989.jpg

457-7990.jpg

457-7991.jpg

457-7992.jpg

Which bezel is closer to the gen colour?..............I'm guessing Neil's

Ken

To me also it looks that Neil's has a better bezel color.

Andrew's has better date font ???

I have just sold my gen, so will confirm the fact that indeed the bezel colour on neil's is closer, quite a lot closer. From the pics it looks like the colour isn't quite as opaque as the gen but it is very close. The bezel grating also seems an aweful lot closer to the gen in andrews, as well as the dimensions.

My $.02

Chris

Neil's PO is simply amazing. I suspect it's the same watch that Precious Time sells.

Very, very nice.

I'm wearing my 45.5 Orange PO right now and I gotta say Neils is the definate winner.

Of course there's the 'He' valve position and the pearl is way too big. The curved bracelet is nice but the SEL sits too high. Nit-picky I know :) It looks amazing to me though.

So Nanuq, does this mean that you've terminated your plan to swap the bezels on these two?

Neil's orange is much closer to genuine, but not quite as opaque. Good call.

Andrew's deep orange looks great on a dark strap... that sort of balances it.

Andrew's bezel graining is very accurate... Neil's is not.

Neil's caseback is very nice... Andrew's is a sticker.

Neil's is smooth as butter, an ETA movement. Andrew's is a little rougher.

Andrew's crown is great but not quite big enough. Neil's screws down weirdly and is a bit too big.

Neil's is waterproof. I've proven that already. :)

Buy one of each and wear them for different conditions!

Neil's is a good version no doubt about it. Same as PT but without the custom ingraving.

To bad they couldn't make the printing on the date wheel dates darker like andrews...... :glare:

Yes, Same Item. Best PO on the Market. Im working on getting the Black version developed soon.

good to hear that we're still working to improve this baby

great review bob

Count me in for one of those!

Neil's had black ones, so they are out there.

Shame i'm skint. I wan't both.

I hope my PO from Neil gets her before the end of the month!!

I have a new girl I would like to share with everyone here but she leaves town at the end of the this month.

I am counting on you Neil :closedeyes:

aren't we all :devil:

Page 2:

What's up with the date font on the TTK version?

I have the Black PO.....same spec as Orange....!

There is an anomaly in the production of GENUINE PO's...........there are differences between the Black and the Orange......!

The bezel 'grooves'.....are different between the 2x versions......the Orange has grooves that are like milled edges.....with a strong 'land'....and a deep straight 'groove'......!

The black PO.....has scalloped grooves.......not milled ones......as you can see in these photographs of originals....!

There is no discernible difference between my datewheel font or colour and the original......don't know what you guys see....!

As for the crown being too tall......not according to photos of the original....!

Here...!

458-7980.jpg

458-7981.jpg

458-7982.jpg

Shomething shtrange shurely?

They look the same on the Omega website...

458-7983.jpg

458-7984.jpg

I suspect some Photoshopping is going on over there though, you only have to flick between the two watches on this page to see what I mean.

@Neil

What are the chances we can get replacement parts for these latest generation POs? I have the scalloped bezel (black version) and would like the "milled" edge to go with my orange watch.

Also I'd be interested if a bezel insert came out that was slightly deeper/richer in color. Just a little more saturated orange color.

Any chances?

@nan.....it's just the wrong time to be asking the questions.....ain't nobody home but us farangs.....everyone else is having Kung Hey Fat Choi....for about a month......so no answer......I think you can swap out the bezel insert.....with pearl......the bezel itself is another matter.....if truth be told.....it's so minute that it's hardly noticeable.....I ordered a genuine from my dealer in Glasgow.....when I went home in Sep...I took a Swiss Orange PO with me......after looking at the genuine...I told him I didn't want it......and showed him the copy......his remark was,.."Oh you got one already".....even after holding it.....he still thought it was gen.....only when I told him and he looked very carefully and did a side by side...did he notice the difference.....he though it was excellent....and ordered one.....I swapped out my order for the PO....and went with a genuine Railmaster XXL......sweet.......I have to say ...I'm not enamoured enough with the PO....rep OR gen......!

As for the colour on the Orange......please remember that any photographs that you see on the web...or catalogue......are shot under very bright conditions......which effectively makes the orange appear more saturated....under daylight conditions...it's more of a burnt umber colour and less saturated......I think my one is pretty close to the genuine......but then colours can vary......especially during each process run....!

Interesting. So I guess this is as good as the PO is going to get in rep. terms that is. To bad they couldn't get the proper engraved clasp but that is something people can have done on their own.

Can't wait to see mine Neil. :happy:

@rocket.....I think we'll see some more improvements....namely...PO engraved on clasp......the HE crown is only about 1mm misaligned.....they might relocate in future runs......and perhaps we'll see better pearls....but i think that's about it......it will all depend on how the visiting tourists pick up on the watch....if it proves popular...we'll see new runs....if not...it'll stay the same or fade from view...!

Also....let me check on your status....can you give me your initials and state....!

Close up of gens..

458-7985.jpg

458-7986.jpg

Look the same to me!!

So please explain the variance on this genuine.....where you can plainly see that the 'milling'....is straight...unlike the trapezoidal sections on the above pics......distinctly different...!

458-7987.jpg

My intials are MM and state is CO.

I was hoping to have this watch by the end of the month only because I had a new watch "girl" to show off. (in your honor of course)

However, she leaves town on the 31st of this month. Maybe I can see if mystery girl #1 would do a encore performance.

Regardless -I will be patient. Thanks for checking! :headsetsmiley:

It looks like Omega has been reading from the Seventies Book of Vintage Rolexes. Milled edge vs. scalloped vs... dodecahedral... they're all nice, and apparently, genuine.

Neil, I think the question I have about orange-ness is because I also have Andrew's and his is (IMO) too orange. A dark strap balances his STRONG orange nicely, then I look at a sparkly stainless bracelet and your slightly less orange insert and it makes it look weak. Probably it's darn close.

I also want to say that the HE valve on mine is offset above the 10:00 index ever so slightly. It's noticeable if you look for it. Not lined up like the other ones.

Nice detail.........

Tell me about it!! I'm as mystified as you are. Good news is it means calling a fake is harder, as your experience with the Argyle Arcade mob proves :coolio:

Regarding the orangeness... I'd stick with the black and avoid the issue. :happy:

Gents:

I believe the difference is between the 42 and 45.5 versions. The 42 has the straight milling and the 45.5 has the scalloped.

And Neil, when you get a moment, I've sent you a couple of e-mails about a very recent purchase. I'm looking to see if I can switch my order. Thanks.

Ira

I think your right.

TTK your watch is a beater.

I have the same. Its near to be perfect.

458-7988.jpg

Greetings

Koko

Page 3:

V. Nice. If only that date font were darker.

Wicked.........absolutely wicked!

Behave!!!

The only thing that turns me off about these PO´s, is that they dont have original "Seamaster - Planet Ocean" written on them,

Instead they either have "Seamaster - Professional - Planet Ocean" or "Seamaster - Professinal" which is a dead give away...

When they sort that out, i will be the first to buy one!..

Brian.

yes but the "Seamaster- professional- Planet ocean" engraving is correct for the 45mm version just not the 42mm version

post-216-1210870113_thumb.jpg

Looks like they "compromised" on the He valve position, moving it about 2/3 of the way from where it was to where it should be. Whay not move it all the way? Ahh...the mysterious minds of rep makers.

Hi all, damn I want this watch... :cool: anyway, it's hard to tell from some of the pics, but I think no replica of the orange PO has gotten the triangle of the genuine item right yet.

I think you're right. None have the orange frame around the triangle.

They look pretty good to me! I am wearing my 45 gen right now (black). The bezel size looks fine and the font pretty good as well, seems to be an optical illusion with bezel size I think because the silver ring around the middle I would say is 1/3 of total thickness. The engraving on HEV is pretty good as well as it is pretty hard to read on the gen. Like why did they even bother, you either know what it is or you are out of luck. I think after a days work as a sat. diver, you get in the wet bell and look at the watch the HE if you could see it (not so light in there) I dont think you would just go opening things as the first thing before getting wet before dive computers & bottom timers was to check to make sure the crown is tight. I really have always wondered why they didnt just go with the Omega symbol. I would like to have a good look at the case back.

I just wore mine to a hockey game tonight for the first time, Fortunatly for me the Blue Jackets suck cuz this is not a watch to wear if you will be clapping a lot. In such a case the PO stands for Planet Ohmywristhurts!

Nice to see the reps coming along, I heard the SMP auto is going to be discontinued (as is) and replaced with one with the co-axial movement, placed markers instead of paint and a few more undisclosed upgrades. Glad I bought mine when they first came out.

Word is Omega has plans to de-throne this other Swiss watchmaker as KING of watches and are going upscale. The old movement has been retired.

@avitt

Look closely at the photo by Last1 ... it shows an orange perimeter about the silver triangle. Neil's does not have that detail.

That's what I'm saying, Nanuq. My list was advantages of Andrew's version.

oops...wrong thread...I made that list in another thread...

IF ONLY..................... a genuine bezel insert would fit Neil's watch. It'd be near perfect! :thumbsupsmileyanim: