When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Build a 6538 could use some opinions & sugestions

chocho

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I realised quickly that if I wanted to keep my spending reasonable and be assured to get a nice completed version of exactly what I wanted, that it was best to pay phong for everything. He specializes in completed watches and just sold me a 6265 that is really amazing............They come with gen movements and a few other gen parts like crystal crown tube and stem. Not sure if this is the route you want to take but good luck whatever you decide.

Some of Phong's assembled watches are very nice, but the condition of his mechanicals often leave alot to be desired (dirty, over-oiled, ill-fitting parts, incorrect parts, kludged assemblies, etc). So you might want to have your watch properly overhauled soon to avoid serious problems. You might also check with Ziggy as he has seen alot more of his work than I have, but his comments are likely to mirror alot of mine.

It has been a few years, but I think I may have used an MQ case for my 6536-1 (the dial is a modified MQ)

IMG_00102__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Here are some pics of the MQ case ill get back with the quote when he emails me back:

MinhQCase1.png

MinhQCase2.png

MinhQCase3.png

Case website has more pics : http://www.chrono24....7&watchTypeId=Z

Another thing I need to keep in mind is that Phongs case comes from Arizona and MQs from Vietnam im living in Central America atm so waiting for something from Vietnam could take upto a month and if i need to send back could be a shiping nightmare for me interms of time =((

HEARD BACK FROM MINH HERES HIS RESPONSE:

Hello,

The best price for one set case 6538 is 900USD including shipping free, we can make engrave the serial your request no. We looking forward to having business with you. Thanks

Best regards

Minh Quy

While the price seems good I m a little confused if his answer to if he engraves serials on request was no lol, seems like a standard thing all supliers do but it appears as his answer is no . Also dunno about ordering from vietnam im a little on the fence as far as shiping time and posible return times if theres a problem but the price is definatly sweet for the quality, Yuki quoted me $800. Just thought id give you all aheads up foir anyone else whos thinking of doing a similar project.

NEW PICS OF PHONG CASESET: quote $1400

6538-6.jpg

6538-2.jpg

6538-10.jpg

6538-11.jpg

6538-9.jpg

6538-7.jpg

6538-5.jpg

6538-4.jpg

6538-3.jpg

I must say comunication with Phong has been very good he answers emails in a timely manner while the case is definatly the most expensive option Im kinda feeling this choice since i believe that they come from Arizona at least thats what the contact info says ( correct me if im wrong plz) so forseable shiping and return problems should be less. Also I like that he offers Vintage finishes im new to the whole watchmaking thing and while I can take apart and rebuild a watch ( not the move =)) Im not yet at the point of polishing buffing and doing antique finishes to SS cases so for me It a big deal specialy since I can order the braclet and have him match the finish for a more uniform look. Another plus is that he garantees case to be waterproof/resistant as well as to fit gen parts if need be. I WOULD REALLYU APPREATIATE ANY LAST MINUTE ADVICE COMENTS ECT AS TO THIS CASE BEFORE I DROP $1400 ON PLZ. also any coments on the crystal and crown ect. as far as if its worth repalcing with authentic in comp to what is seen in the pics above.

Thank You all for your time and comments and advice I really appretiate it and I hope this thread helps others embarking on a similar projet aswell =)

I always thought Yuki case only cost 550!.

900usd for Minh Q case........i think we should call for a group purchase, may be he will bring down the price further.

yea I asked yuki the same thing he said some of his other models were 500 but his 6538 was $750 + 50 for engraving serial =O

Yukis response :

email 1:

Thank you for your interest and visit.

The price of the 6538 rep case with 8mm big crown is USD 750.00.

Custom engrave own serial no is USD 50.00.

Free ship by EMS speedpost to US, Canada, Asia and Australia.

(Europe or South America countries have to add USD 36.00 for shipping cost by FedEx or Speedpost)

We accpet payment directly by paypal, western union or bank wire transfer for the case order.

Production time of case is about 25 working days after payment recevied.

If you have any question please feel free to contact us.

Thank you and have a nice day.

email 2 :

Yup some of our case is USD 500 such as 1016, 1680 and 5513.

But 6538 with big crown is little bit expensive.

We are so sorry we don't have 1030 movement is available in stock.

And we have some of gloss black dial is good for vintage 6538 watch:

http://www.yukiwatch...817/8711381.htm

If you have any uestion please feel free to contact us.

Oh and btw still no answer fron NDT about case price !

Edited by chocho

Any one know what is the correct braclet for 6538 I saw a post on VRF that said that either the 7206 or 6636 both with 80 enlinks but most i seen have the 7206 I goggled some pics and they both look identical to my novice eye any1 know the diffrence ?

http://www.network54...hich is correct...

do they both expand or just the 6636 the coment on the post says 7206 is regular oyster and 6636 elastic oyster but ive seen some 7206 refrences that shows them expanding Im a bit confused. Also I ve seen some 6636 with 75 endlinks

Thxs

Edited by chocho

Any one know what is the correct braclet for 6538 I saw a post on VRF that said that either the 7206 or 6636 both with 80 enlinks but most i seen have the 7206 I goggled some pics and they both look identical to my novice eye any1 know the diffrence ?

The 6538 came from the factory fitted with either a 7206 or 6636, each with 80 end links. The 7206 was offered with or without springs (my 6536-1 is fitted with a 7206 with springs).The spring versions were made to compete with Spidel's Twist-O-Flex bracelets, which were popular at the time (they allowed you to slide a watch on or off your wrist without having to open the clasp). I would avoid the spring bracelets as they are very uncomfortable.

The 6538 came from the factory fitted with either a 7206 or 6636, each with 80 end links. The 7206 was offered with or without springs (my 6536-1 is fitted with a 7206 with springs).The spring versions were made to compete with Spidel's Twist-O-Flex bracelets, which were popular at the time (they allowed you to slide a watch on or off your wrist without having to open the clasp). I would avoid the spring bracelets as they are very uncomfortable.

Awesome Freddy You Da Man ! appretiate the info man thxs.

HEARD BACK FROM MINH HERES HIS RESPONSE:

Hello,

The best price for one set case 6538 is 900USD including shipping free, we can make engrave the serial your request no. We looking forward to having business with you. Thanks

Best regards

Minh Quy

Just a thought, but what Minh might mean is that he can engrave your requested "numero". Therefore short "no."

Just a thought, but what Minh might mean is that he can engrave your requested "numero". Therefore short "no."

aa good call I think you might be right makes sence, mmm Im still indecisive at $900 its a dam good price just dont know if the extra $550 for phongs craftmanship and US shipping location is worth it for $550 leaves more wiggle room for more gen parts. ahh waht to do, what to do =)

Does the ming case comes with warranty like phong has, water resistant & to fit gen 1030 movement??

Recently contacted a member here to find out the yuki case he bought (2 years back) , turned out he sold them as it was LEAKING!

Water went in from everywhere, crown, back and.........................

Edited by ck5533

Does the ming case comes with warranty like phong has, water resistant & to fit gen 1030 movement??

Recently contacted a member here to find out the yuki case he bought (2 years back) , turned out he sold them as it was LEAKING!

Water went in from everywhere, crown, back and.........................

Thats agood point CK at least on th esite theres no mention of warrenty or water resistance , I knew i was forgeting some good reasons why I was leaning more toward the more expensive phong case haha

I'm sure phong case are from

Vietnam too. I have a Phong case and i love it. But 900 usd for the case from MQ is a good price.

Im goning to email him to find out where it ships from im glad you brought that to my atention cause his site contact info says its from Arizona and his site JAW is registered in Canada, and personaly the idea taht it ships from this side of the globe was a big selling point for me so yea better to ask first. Also gonna conatact Ming find out about warernt comatability with gen parts and water resistance $550 is a big difrence better to get all the details before making the desicion and purchase.

Im goning to email him to find out where it ships from

JAW usually ships from AZ, but I believe his parts are sourced from VN.

Is the case profile correct vs gen with any of these? Some look little different than my cartel 6538 fully modded by Pbdad.

Rep cases, including the cartel's, are not a good indicator of accuracy. Most of the aftermarket Sub cases I have seen (including NDT, JAW, MQ, etc) were made to correct (or indescribably close) dimensions.