When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bond Po?

tallkenny

If you want a "Bond" watch you should be wearing a Submariner (preferably vintage). That is what Sean Connery wore and it is what Iam Flemming SPECIFICALLY described Bond as wearing in the books.

The Omega stuff is just a modern day excersize in product placement. While I like the watches they do not fit the Bond character at all, to delicate and fussy.

If you wanta Bond THEMED watch then what the hell, might as well get one of the TWENTY versions Swatch made a few years back. Better yet, get them all in the cool aluminum case they came in.

If you want a "Bond" watch you should be wearing a Submariner (preferably vintage). That is what Sean Connery wore and it is what Iam Flemming SPECIFICALLY described Bond as wearing in the books.

Hmmm. Not quite. The only reference to Rolex watches in the James Bond novels is in On Her Majesty's Secret Service and no specific model is named, only a 'Rolex Oyster'. As for the Submariner that Sean Connery wore in the original movies, it was Ian Fleming's own watch, which he bought with the proceeds from the sales of the novel On Her Majesty's Secret Service, co-incidentally....

Regarding military issue watches, both Rolex and Omega have been specified by British Forces (where do you reckon those reps with the little 'T' on the dial get their inspiration from?!)

Hmmm. Not quite. The only reference to Rolex watches in the James Bond novels is in On Her Majesty's Secret Service and no specific model is named, only a 'Rolex Oyster'. As for the Submariner that Sean Connery wore in the original movies, it was Ian Fleming's own watch, which he bought with the proceeds from the sales of the novel On Her Majesty's Secret Service, co-incidentally....

Regarding military issue watches, both Rolex and Omega have been specified by British Forces (where do you reckon those reps with the little 'T' on the dial get their inspiration from?!)

Quite right my friend, Chapter 15 I believe - a Rolex Oyster on stretch (rivetted) band - he even uses it as a knuckle-duster at one point :lol:

As an aside, Fleming gave Bond a background as a Commander in Naval Intelligence, however only Royal Navy divers (mainly NCOs and below) were issued with Submariners. Bond as an officer would have not had a tool watch. The creative assumption that he would know of the Sub and therefore requesitioned one when he joined the Service, holds up fairly well though.

Could we see a photo of your asian on rubber strap?

As for the Submariner that Sean Connery wore in the original movies, it was Ian Fleming's own watch, which he bought with the proceeds from the sales of the novel On Her Majesty's Secret Service, co-incidentally....

I thought it was Cubby's watch, not Flemming's. :blink:

OK. I stand corrected. Funny how the mind plays tricks with you. I recall reading SUBMARINER but it has been many years since I last read a Bond book and I must have simply read "Rolex". STILL, atleast ROLEX was specified and also the sub is the classic watch worn during the Connery days of Bond. It just seems to fit Bond more and it certainly was NOT product placement as is the case with Omega. One gets the feeling that had Tag or any other brand ponied up enough cash they too could be the new Bond watch. I like Omegas and I even like the 40th anniversary Bond SMP, but they just don't feel "right" to me for Bond... especially not the Daniel Craig mode of tough ass Bond.

I thought it was Cubby's watch, not Flemming's. :blink:

There are conflicting stories. The (undersized) NATO strap one in Goldfinger was alleged to be Broccoli's, but the leather strapped one in From Russia with Love is rumoured to be Fleming's as he spent a lot of time on set (and actually has a fleeting, uncredited apperance on screen).

Comes down to which story you believe :)

• 2 weeks later...
There are conflicting stories. The (undersized) NATO strap one in Goldfinger was alleged to be Broccoli's, but the leather strapped one in From Russia with Love is rumoured to be Fleming's as he spent a lot of time on set (and actually has a fleeting, uncredited apperance on screen).

Comes down to which story you believe :)

The version I do believe is that Rolex didn't want to supply them with a watch. More fool them, as it could have assured them today's product placement. :D

You're going to make me watch my FRWL and Goldfinger DVDs with a framegrabber now, aren't you ...