When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 1675 (looky What Santa Brought Early)

rbj69

Ah the memories that delightful watch dredges up. Not a few of you know that I once flew the friendly skies of PanAm and I saw many a pilot sporting that watch. This was well before these gigantic turnips of watches you PAM afficionados sport, at the time a 40 millimeter case was big. One could always tell a pilot, to wit "big watch, small package". But I digress.

When new the watches had lovely vibrant red and blue bezels but after a few thousand hours in the air protected by nothing but plexiglass panels a pilot's watch would fade rather dramatically.

Being that this is a family forum I suspect this is what my succulent salmon meant by his "aged insert?" Certainly he was not referring to his other favorite type of insert.

:winkiss:

Is that the "Sub" bezel that comes on all the GMT reps, with the outer edge milled off, and some vertical edges milled into it?

i dont know if it is a sub bezel cause i have never to my knowledge worked a sub bezel that was as thin as this one in thickness , but basically i reshaped it by hand and then i polished it dramatically to make it look refinished and not new , i can also reshape it to look fairly new with sharper edges but in all the pics i have seen they r rounded like u see basically

it was fun actually just because i was creating something once again no one else has and that is what i like most about "special projects" simply doing hard stuff and sculpting , not just grinding and cutting with a dremel and using handdrills to make lugholes, lol

i have some more things cooking coming soon , watch out

joe

You're welcome. I love it.

I really like the dial paint used on the hour markers...much more genuine looking now. It doesn't have that 'relumed' 'raised' appearance that is a dead-giveaway of a refinished dial.

He now has my 1680 and 1665 for dial painting in this same manner.

im with u on that as well XRT, i dont like that puffy look either, to me it just looks like it wasnt a well kept watch, or more like they say water got on it and made them swell,lol i like the way my genuine 1680 has aged, basically slightly discolored (or a slight yellowing or antique whitening ) again this is basically a taste issue, (some like coffee stain look , some like puffy humidity look , some like crusty scarred up look and some like minty look) , some like mustard and some like dijonaise (grey poupon) lol ok i will stop now it is getting late and i am getting delirious with analagies now , lol and im sure my spelling sucks by now , lol

joe

Sorry, the damn pic is so large.

I'd like to perhaps attempt creating a pointed guard case for my OEM 1675.

I bet you could install your OEM movement in the Paul case, but the OEM dial is a hair too small in diameter to fit...we tried this with an OEM 1675 dial that I bought off the Bay :angry:

In terms of making these pointy CGs with all the correct angles and facets...it is a true work of art. I can't take this watch off. :wub:

euno , it is one of those things i really couldnt teach u to do , i wouldnt know how to explain, lol it isnt simply cutting an angle , it is sculpting steel basically, u can call or email me and talk like the old days if u like ,and we may can come up with a solution, im sure i can make the movment fit fine in it for u as well

glad u love it XRT, that is the biggest reward of them all, lol

take care

joe

Recall we had a great thread on this way back in the old days - wonder if it was archived? :g:

That was a GREAT thread!

Funny enough, I just found this image that I had posted in that oooold thread :o:thumbsupsmileyanim:

The proof is in the pudding - in this case, this particular pic and who the watch is attached to... Just to clarify, we must remember that 'both' dudes enjoyed non-quickset GMT tracking :)

153031-14381.jpg