When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone used a Yuki 6542 case for a 6542 build ?

panerai153

I'm in the very early stages of putting together parts for a 6542. I have had some very good advice from a couple of members here, but we never talked about the Yuki case. I looked at the phong case, but at 1.5k it's out of my range.I have also looked at the puretime 6542 as a basis for my watch, as well as a case from Ken at Rafflestime. Looks like there are advantages and disadvantages with each of them.

Probably the only advantage of the puretime, is the watch is complete. If the wonky rehault could be fixed , which would reguire a bigger diameter dial,correct, you would have everything. With the others, you are getting a case, bezel,insert, caseback,crown and crystal. Yuki is around 750.00 for the complete case, plus 50.00 USD if you want your serial numbers. I'm not real sure about the insert, as the photos are all pretty small. I would prefer it without the insert and use one of JoeyB's Lexan inserts, but i don't think that he will sell it with the bezel and no insert.

Before I do anything foolish,I would like to hear form some of you who have used the Yuki case. i do know from reading, several members have been less than thrilled with some of yuki's parts. I wouldn't spend that kind of money without really good photos of my case, as well as a deal that if it's not right, i can send it back and try another one.

Thanks in advance

I have no experience with Yuki's 6542 case, but you should choose a case, in great part, based on the movement you decide to use. If you are going with a gen movement, then Yuki, NDT or JAW are the way to go & you must decide how much you are willing to pay for each case's set of inaccuracies. If you go ETA, I think your best bet is to buy a fully assembled rep & just replace parts (with gens or more accurate aftermarkets) as you see fit. From my experience, as long as the dial is fairly accurate & case is 'in the ballpark' no mere mortal will know the difference. As a perfect example, I used a cheap Silix Sub case for my ETA 2846-powered Phase I '42 (there are a handful of threads detailing the construction that you can search out) & there is really very little difference between it & the gen case I used for my Rolex 1036GMT-powered Phase II

0292__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

(Phase II left, Phase I right)

Thanks Freddy,

I see your point. I'm planning to use either a DG3804B or an ETA 2846. If I decide to go the route of the puretime watch, it comes with a 2846 movement. one of the other cases such as the Rafflestime case I would probably use the DG movement. What concerns me is the upscale cases,yuki NDT and JW all use 26.5 (genuine size dials) the other cases use larger dials, with the larger dial, how does that affect the date window placement, or the date wheel position relative to the window? This is probably a moot point, as I really don't want to spend a ton of money on this project, and after my 1665 I know how easy to start off with a budget, and half way through, the budget is shot to Hell ! I really love your White dial, that's what I'm shooting for. I also very much like JoeyB's White dial version as well. One thing about one of those, the big dogs on VRF already figure every White dial out there is a fake, a redial or something someone put together from Rolex parts, so I'm not going to to fool anyone! Around here, about 99% of the folks really dopn't know a Rolex from a Timex, so it's no big deal if it's a little off.

All of the aftermarket cases are made to fit Rolex movements, so you would either need to use a spacer ring (& possibly live with an off-center crown position) or reconsider your options.

If you use a dial that was not made for the movement, the date window will likely be off as well. Whichever route you go, I would highly recommend JoeyB's insert, which is made to fit a gen or aftermarket (which are made to gen dimensions) bezel. Whether it will fit a given rep bezel is unknown, so you should probably expect to do some modding there.

Thanks again for the advice Freddy. I understand that unless you use all genuine or genuine aftermarket parts, there are going to be some compromises.

i agree with you i like JoeyB's lexan bezel insert very much. Great product and a great guy.

Thanks again