When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 386 anyone ?

kalengkong

Not for me mate...

This factory isnt great as far as build and quality go... lume, dial case, CG.... finish ... its just a case of where do you start !!!

Wearing my 312 now, not perfect but bloody good watches all the same. The 386 rep isn't composite which probably somewhat ironically means it will last longer than the gen which seem to have a tendency to crack.

I am of the camp that I would rather have a watch I like than not have a watch at all because its not 100% perfect.

These will never be prefect reps this one in particular is hard to get right because of the materials used but the 44mm 1950 case shape works for me.

If you dont have another PVD/DLC watch then I would seriously consider adding this to your collection

Chaps - I've attempted a mini review on this focussing on the colour issue. I could be way off the mark, or colour blind, and I welcome criticism - but this is an interesting issue or rumour that seems to of destroyed the reputation of this rep, which I feel a shame, as in person its a real beauty, military and modern paying homage to the vintage, with great wrist presence.

I have the V.1.1 rep, and overall, in most lighting conditions the colour and mix is brown (Brown being a colour produced by mixing red, yellow, and black) The gen must have a similar mix in order to achieve the as advertised 'brown' composite finish. The rep has a beautiful finish in reality, in some ways like a two tone paint job. I've caught glimpses of it looking grey, charcoal, brownish, reddish or purplish. Quite often you can see several of these mixing hues at once. Thats the nature of this finish and I can understand that is not for everyone. As a side note, the model seems to be removed from Panerai's main web site - composite case cracking issues? - I may not of been looking in the right place, but I had a good dig.

As a community we are used to pencil grey, charcoal or black PVD/DLC - This brown finish and colour mix is a little different from those. Ok - so potentially the rep has more red in the colour mix than genuine, but I personally think they have done a reasonable job. There seem to be few gen photographs on the web, and the gen stock photos don't tell the truth IMO - This type of product photography is always heavily photoshopped, and more obviously photographs are one lighting condition specific / static, whereas the eyes ability to pick up light is dynamic.

To move this on, see photo below of a gen

post-44949-0-60347400-1342603683_thumb.j

Clearly the lighting in the image above is picking out the red / purple hues in the colour mix. Now check the image below of gen stock (Notice the rear case edge has a red hue) but agreed the overall look is a lot more grey/brown.

post-44949-0-39840800-1342603676_thumb.j

Also I found a you tube video from SIHH 2011 - This is not the best quality and is not conclusive, but you can see some evidence of this 'two tone' effect:

The V1.1 addresses the major construction issues of the V1 (Purple crown, bezel thickness, roller ball, date font, central rotor screw etc) - all in all the V1.1 stacks up as a decent rep, even though the movement engraving (or lack thereof) is way off the mark and arguably the dial tone isn't perfect.

I've noticed that Kuvarsit are offering a V2 - The jury is still out on whether this a different model to Puretimes V1.1. Judging by the other upgrades listed with their V2, I would say its the same watch. They've photographed it in detail, worth a look.

http://www.kuvarsitw...roduct_id=31823

post-44949-0-60861900-1342603699_thumb.p

I've also been snapping some Iphone photos in different lighting conditions to try and capture some of the different hues, to help people feel closer to living with this rather uniquely finished piece. Theres a saying in the UK about a popular vegetable spread that springs to mind - This finish is like marmite! You either love it or you hate it.

You decide.

post-44949-0-14543400-1342601842_thumb.j

post-44949-0-45032800-1342601846_thumb.j

post-44949-0-60370100-1342601850_thumb.j

post-44949-0-91833300-1342601857_thumb.j

post-44949-0-36812300-1342601866_thumb.j

post-44949-0-98840900-1342601872_thumb.j

post-44949-0-61633700-1342601882_thumb.j

The Purple Comparison.

post-44949-0-34469000-1342603330_thumb.j

• Like 1

Archetypal Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this , great comparison. It looks a great watch and that last wristie its very hard to see any clear noticeable and obvious difference. I reckon mist of the moaners on this watch havent actually worn one , and their missing out on a great value rep. Wear it well

Here's mine....and loving it:

pam386.jpg

pam386drop1.jpg

Having been in this hobby for 6 years or so, I don't give a crap anymore about 1-to-1 goblidigook! Who the hell could tell if its a rep from an arms length......and that is if the perp have enough time to oggle before

you move on. In the midwest US, most folks doesn't even know what a Panerai is......Panera anyone? Rolex is all they know and most can't tell 1-to-1 or 2-to-1 whatever. Just mu thoughts!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hello, i am coming from germany. sorry for my bad english...

what's about the brown pvd on the stainless case? no problems with that colour? you don't see stainless shining ?

and i have seen that puretime.co sells this and a lot of another watches.... is the dealer seriosly and correct?

best regards