When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6154 reshape build

mellons

Here is a recently completed 6154- was a build i had up for sale but got second thoughts and had a run at it myself. Having tried achieving this shape with other cases this really is the best at the moment to achieve closer to accurate shape (without serious machining etc). Although the material on the lugs is not plentiful for a reshape removal of the creases on the caseback side of the case and curvature of the underside of the lugs does help the shape. Corners at the lug ends also taken down and some creases softened. The most material removed was between the lugs on the caseback side (not visible with strap on). The reshaping was one of the most nervous I have completed due to cost of unmodded case!

ingredients are:

athaya 6154 case (2 piece bezel)

qplexi

thick engraved opb caseback

vdb rp dial

athaya high-collar molly hands

1947 "salut" highly-decorated molnija 3601 (pin removed michael)

timeband ammo with sewn-in strap

future mods: light age hands, compression-fit lug bars and thin engraved display caseback

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

case shots

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

Edited by mellons

More great pics mate and some great work... especially by hand :)

Sorry if this is a daft question but I have never heard of 'Athaya'.... have you any other info or links please.

Could you explain what removing the pin does for the movement? Is it necessary to mod the movement or just a way of making look better?

I love the thickness of the CB.... but not sure if its just the pics but is the engraving a little shallow... I have seen others which much deeper or looking deeper.. Does this vary and is there a preferred option.... I am guessing that its the thickness of the CB thats making this a preferred option here...

I hope that makes sense mate..

Pete that makes perfect sense

Athaya is a parts supplier over on hf: does very nice work

This is one of his complete case-sets, he did them in bronze also. Case had thick caseback with engravings of choice (display and solid), cases in correct overall height with creases, thick lug pins, two piece bezel and movement ring to suit movement. Iir the original run was 100 ss cases and 50 bronze ones. Originally I got a bronze case but sold on: did not have the bottle to mod a $400 + case set which was already pretty nice. he also supplies a thinner caseback: I have one of these on order also.

You should check out his section; he is planning a 6152/1 case set with 3 piece dial etc. shortly.

The other casebacks you have seen with deeper engravings are more than likely night watch ones: these are very nice also.

Thanks mate. I appreciate the info :)

Yes I think those were Gordons... but I can see why you would use this caseback as it has a great shape and thickness... which I personally like.

Blimey a brass caseset... I bet that looked very nice... I can understand why you wouldnt want to play about with that :) I would like in my head that sort of case with a GG dial :)

I will check out HF thanks :) I should more often but always seem to find logging in a problem...

Thanks again for sharing mate :)

Nice finish to the build mate...

I got to say though that my preference is with the thicker CB... but thats me :)

But wheres the wristie ? :)

Looks well there.... Thanks mate :)

Great backdrop.... Is that your garden feature ?? :)

Makes such a difference seeing the end work on the wrist... I think it can be appreciated more for me anyway...

Thanks again and Great work mate :)

Love it mate.... especially the pics indoors.... shows off that thick plexi... :)

Trinity College? The Book of Kells... :)

My old man got offered a scholarship to there back in the late fifties... but his mum made him stay on the farm to work !! It was his one regret ...

Sorry mate... Have I missed something or is it my eyes...?

Have you done some work to the bezel too.... The height and angle appear different to the unmodded case?

And I meant to ask before what is meant by the term '2 part bezel' ? Is there an inner ring in addition to or instead of the gasket ?

well spotted- sorry should have mentioned that: the bezel on the stock (unmodded) one is a single piece bezel from athaya also with a cut down dsn plexi (lower), the bezel in teh modded case is a two part one- there is an inner piece that goes into the case that the plexi sits on, then an outer ring (the visible bezel) sits over that: both look similar but the two piece is closer to gen construction and a tropic plexi will fit. The single piece bezel is easier to take on/off and is less delicate, also suits solid plexis or crystals etc. tropic clone plexis need to be modded to fit.

Thanks mate

So does the inner bezel need the outer to hold the plexi? Or is it more a means of lifting the plexi or a means of allowing the use of the thicker ones..