When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Automatic Movement/Digital Display? Ventura SPARC MGS

redwatch

Interesting. The Rotor transfer Mechanical energy into a "generator" which must then transfer the power to some storage device (capacitor or battery) to power the LCD display. Kinda cool...pointless, but cool. Not gonna buy one though...I guess in principal it's similar to the Seiko Spring Drive watches....

Gotta disagree with the comparison to the Spring Drive. If I understand correctly, the spring drive is essentially a mechancial movement that is regulated by a quartz oscillator instead of spring dynamics. Not to play down how cool it is, but the architecture of this movement seems to be wholly quartz, just with a generator slapped on. The mechanical aspect is much less integrated into the total movement design and philosophy than with the Spring Drive. Admittedly, not a super rigorous distinction, but I think conceptually the two concepts have very different purposes and advantages.

Still think its a cool idea though. But I'd really like to see if this is a possible way of driving higher-energy displays. There are lots of cool quartz watches where you have to activate the display cause they take up too much power. But if you can constantly generate enough power via a mechanical system, then you could make these designs always-on.

[edit] high energy display, something like this (although this one is kinda corny)

led-watch-2.jpg

Edited by prb