When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting back in the game, what to buy?

Hey guys,

Have been out of the game for a good few years now but I'm getting the bug again. I currently have a noobmariner, a Navitimer with serviced A7750 and a BCE (1st gen I think) again with A7750.

I had a 4th gen 42mm PO but I lost it... Did like that watch.

I'm going to make a purchase soon and need some advice. My main criteria is that I want it to be very close to gen. I don't want to be called out. I'm not going to be going to ADs showing it off but I will be around people with gens and I want it to be hard to call.

The 42mm PO Ultimate seems to be a real front runner. It seems to be the same watch with the Asian movemnt and the Asian/Swiss ETA which makes it incredible value in my eyes. Trevor has it for $135 or $188 with Asian ETA. It also looks like a watch that should be very hard for anyone but a real enthusiast would have any idea is a rep.

I also love IWCs. The mark MKVI is a beauty, but I'm unsure of how close to gen it is. Any suggestions of other IWCs or indeed any other watches I am overlooking?

I don't want any PAMs or A7750s this time.

Thanks!

Definitely the mark xvi and spitfire are great reps, they look pretty damn close to gen all things considered, the dw can be a bit weak looking on the rep but still great out of the box. The new portofino is a very good rep also. The new JLC Navy Seals diver is a cracking rep as is the AP diver V3. The PO ultimate you can't go too far wrong with, well priced and a great wearer, it needs some mods to compete next to a gen (crystal and dial/lume) but as long as you don't compare side by side with a mates gen then nobody would notice the difference. Also consider the TC subs, you may not be into rolex but they are great very accurate watches for the money. Also the explorers I and II> You may also want to look at the Tag aquaracer 500m which is superb and also Breitling abyss/steelfish models...all superb reps!

That lot should hopefully keep you going for a while, I'm sure there's plenty of others i forgot, I left out the pams and a7750s ;)

The new 42mm PO's are very good, better than the UPO IMO. That's a great deal from Trevor.

The Breitlings are also great reps- SOH and Abyss both are pretty close to gen. I'd like the new JLC Navy Seals- but I think it's too expensive;

almost $500 with Swiss mov't. I just bought a new Tissot with ETA 2836-2 for $360!